Search Unity

Why does the floor look closer than it should?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JoeStrout, Jul 24, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've got a simple scene with the camera positioned 1.6 meters above a platform. I have verified that the camera position is correct by logging it, and also by putting a scale reference next to it. In both the Unity editor, and when built for the Oculus Go, the position is correct and I can see the top of the reference cube, as expected.

But when looking at the scene in VR on the Go... the platform looks much too close to my eyes. It's about waist high. Moreover, the surrounding scenery, which should be quite large (furthest point about 100 m away), looks much smaller (furthest point a few tens of m away, at most).

Any idea what's going on here? Why does everything look smaller and closer than it should? There are no scripts mucking with the camera; I started with an empty camera in the scene and except for positioning and adding geometry set pieces, I haven't done anything else. What's the dealio?

2. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Sounds like your camera fov is too low.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

FOV is controlled by the VR system; I have no control over it as far as I know.

I did log it though, and it reports 90°. (It's about 45° in the editor; I tweaked that to match what I was seeing on the device as well as possible.)

It looks to me like the stereo separation isn't right, but I don't have any control over that either. :(