Search Unity

Why does Tap to Place Stop working when in a sharing session with two or more users?

Discussion in 'VR' started by hmalafai, Aug 10, 2018.

1. hmalafai

hmalafai

I am working working on a project where we are trying to set up a tap to place demo where more than one user can tap to place a hologram, with each user seeing the shared location of the hologram in real time. The current problem we're having is that when two or more users join the Shared session, the hologram locks into place, and nobody can move it. In addition, each person sees separate the hologram in separate location. The hologram can be moved normally when only one person joins.

We are using Unity with the HoloTookit as our base. We are using the base Sharing prefab, along with the InputManager, and DefaultCursor prefabs. We are taking the TaptoPlace script, and expanding it with listeners that hook in thru an event manager to a version of the CustomMessages script that sends position data, similar in approach to the HologramPlacement script in the Hololens 240 tutorial. We think that maybe the spatial anchors for the hologram aren't getting passed correctly, but we have yet to be able to confirm that. Both Hololens are joining the Sharing Session correctly.

Does the situation above ring a bell for anybody? Thanks in advance for the help!

2. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

While HoloToolkit/MixedRealityToolkit is built in and for Unity, it was not developed and is not maintained by anyone here - it is entirely a Microsoft thing, and you'll have better luck asking around at https://github.com/Microsoft/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity.

Sharing anchors can be expensive, both in terms of data size and, correspondingly, the time it takes to send the data to share it. So if I had to guess, the behavior you're describing is by design - at least as far as fresh-out-of-the-toolkit code goes without any modification. But like I said, you'll have better luck asking at their GitHub site.

Fast_Effect_Hussain likes this.
  3. Fast_Effect_Hussain

Fast_Effect_Hussain

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll go there next