Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Rider suggest such an obviously unintended autocomplete?

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by CloudyVR, Sep 12, 2020.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I am fighting with my IDE, sometimes if I type "Debug.Log" it suggestions "logger (obsolete)" instead of the obviously better pattern "Log" which is higher in alphabetical order and matches capitalization more exactly??

Rider often suggests a less preferred pattern:

I have tried researching some of the Rider autocomplete settings, but nothing has worked and I am plagued by a horrible autocomplete suggestion that I use often, and I can't figure out how to customize my IDE to removed this undesired behavior.

I even deleted entire contents of the Debug.cs file (where logger class was located) yet Rider still insists that "logger" is the best suggestion (even after rebooting the PC many times):

Why would obsolete methods be on top of the list anyways?

Can I remove "logger" from the list ?

Thanks

2. nobeerleft

nobeerleft

In Settings > Editor > Code Completion - I set Match Case to true. This fixes a lot of the sometimes unusual autocompletes Rider suggests.

I also turned off Preselect the best match to insert by pressing dot, parenthesis and other keys. This fixes the case of it always matching something when you type ref and press space. The down side is you have to use Tab to match, but I always do that anyway.

CloudyVR likes this.