Search Unity

Bug Why does my terrain detail brush change its shape when I change the terrain size?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WildRikku, Feb 10, 2023.

1. WildRikku

WildRikku

Hi everyone,

I had the problem that my terrain detail paint brush did not paint circles even though it was a circular brush. I figured out that this occurs even in new projects with fresh terrains when I change the terrain size. I also found this old post that nobody ever replied to which is apparently the same problem: https://forum.unity.com/threads/terrain-brushes-resized-with-terrain-aspect-ratio.397844/

I attached a screenshot taken right after clicking a single time with the default brush. It occurs in Unity 2021.3.10f1 and 2021.3.18f1 (and probably other versions, those are the two I currently use). I might supply a test project if that helps, currently unsure because I use third party assets. A minimal project with this issue consists of an empty 3D project with the built-in renderer that has a terrain added with one layer / texture, one grass texture detail and the shape changed from the default 1000x1000 to 50x500. The default detail paint brush then paints long ellipses.

It also paints way too strong after changing the size.

Please let me know if this is intended behaviour and if so, how I can get the brush to paint its actual shape. I consider this a bug.

Addition: This also happens in Unity 2023.1.0b3.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023