Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Why does my character immediately go into a 'tense' state when played

Discussion in 'Animation' started by SamohtVII, Jan 1, 2023.

1. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

I am doing my first character rig and he immediately offsets and poses 'strange' when I have an animation rig on. Is this normal? How can I get him to T pose without the offset and stay on the ground?

Also to get a desired result my multi aim constraint I feel has some off Axis values. Any ideas here? The issues may be linked.

upload_2023-1-1_14-56-34.png

Thanks
    upload_2023-1-1_14-55-42.png

2. halley

halley

I call that the fetal pose; it's the Mixamo system's neutral state halfway through every muscle group's range of motion. I am not sure what's causing it for you here, but it tends to happen to me when I play an animation and then STOP the animation and have nothing else. If you keep an Idle animation looping forever, it's satisfied.

I do see you have a -Y Aim axis and a +Y Up axis, which is probably causing some calculation errors. Normally anything asking for an Up axis is trying to do some matrix math to keep things from spinning, and the ideal Up axis is at right angles to the other axis in play. Parallel is the worst.

3. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

Thanks for the help.
    That solved my position and everything. But it takes over the leg animations and my attempted 2 bone IK won't work.
    As this is my first rigging attempt, I understood there where animations or there were procedural animations, not both?
    As I am trying procedural, would I still use an idle controller?
    Thanks

4. halley

halley

The standard approach is to do all your animation-driven stuff in the Update phase (which Animator does), and do anything that corrects or overrides it like IK or aiming or floppy bones in the LateUpdate phase.