Search Unity

Why does lightmap baking system is so upsetting? Ugly results.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by pagan_poetry, Sep 15, 2018.

1. pagan_poetry

pagan_poetry

Don't blame me please because it's not the first day i'm trying to bake desirable lightmaps in my low-poly 3d game and i'm getting desperate with it. Is it me or why Unity3d can't bake normal-quality lightmaps without being ugly as hell?

My target: to bake lightmaps for mobile game level.
    My result:
    1. First variant I get baked and compressed lightmaps with ugly artefacts and noise because of compression. And i can't find the option of how much shold Unity compress it.
    2. Second one is uncompressed lightmaps. They look great but it's 150-200mb of weight which is too much for simple low-poly scene.

Is it me or what? Is this situation common for Unity Engine? I'm getting really upset... Is there any straight tutorial for baking simple but pretty (not ugly)?
    There is a lot of nuances in Unity that probably blocking my way to a good lightmaps so I think the time has come to ask for help there.

2. Findus

Findus

How big are your lightmaps? How sharp do your shadows and details need to be? First thing I'd do is to make the lightmaps as big as necessary, but not bigger. Adjust the lightmap size of objects according to how big they'll be visible etc.

Perhaps post example images, so people can take a look at the artefacts you are seeing.

3. pagan_poetry

pagan_poetry

This is what i have as an example. The problem is seen on the walls. Seeking for the way to reduce (smooth, blur etc) this ugly "waves" of pixelated cubic lightmaps.
    My upper level of the lightmap resolution is 2048 but it really doesn't reduce the problem.

Attached Files:

4. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

try to disable compression on the lightmap by setting compression to none

5. pagan_poetry

pagan_poetry

Yes it works, but as i mentioned before it makes the final size of lightmaps too big.

6. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

if that the case, maybe you could also try to reduce lightmap resolution with a trade of less sharp lightmap

7. pagan_poetry

pagan_poetry

Thanks, i would try.
    But anyways, is it normal how baking looks on my screenshot for compressed lightmaps? Because i think "compression" is the feature that most people use.

8. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

Once you have bake your lightmaps you can go to the folder of the scene and override the compression scheme used. Might be working better than the default setting for your scene:
    https://i.imgur.com/zCFmKuR.png

Danielpunct likes this.
  9. hanisherif1997_unity

hanisherif1997_unity

could you elaborate the process. having a hard time figuring out what u said

10. cogito09

cogito09

upload_2022-4-12_17-8-29.png

blueivy likes this.
  11. Unlogical-Game-Studios

Unlogical-Game-Studios

i also get this ugly artifacts, no matter if I use Lightmap Compression or not

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What artifacts? Start a new thread and post images.

13. Stardog

Stardog

Try enabling HDR on the camera.

14. Unlogical-Game-Studios

Unlogical-Game-Studios

Ok, i had some OV Overlapping in the scene. So I think, this could be the reason for the artifacts. I need some days for the bake process(slow computer), if this is not the reason, I will create my own thread and will post here a link to it.