Search Unity

Why does each C# script open in a new separate instance of Visual Studio?

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by TokyoDan, Feb 7, 2017.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I'm working on a project and it is OK. I open various C# scripts and each one opens in a new tab in the single running instance of Visual Studio Community 2015. To make a backup of the project, I copied and pasted it and then renamed it. I then opened that copied project in Unity, but when I open various C# scripts and each one opens in a completely new instance of VS2015.

I've been doing this way of making backups then opening the copies for years and this has never happened before.

What is going on?

NOTE: Disregard this. It was fixed by deleting all the .csproj and .sin files.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    AaronC and Evershifting like this.
  2. smacbride

smacbride

Under the main project directory, you need to delete the {projectname}.csproj, {projectname}.Editor.csproj, and the {projectname}.sln files.

3. nextage575

nextage575

I had this problem as well, I believe it was related to upgrading a project to a new version of unity. I resolved it by deleting the .csproj files and the .sln file for the project. Unity just recreated them immediately, and the files correctly opened in the same instance of VS.

4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

This is happening to me now. deleting those files doesn't fix it. I just upgraded to 2020.1.6f from 2019.4.3f

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  5. wannadie

wannadie

The same here. I just removed Visual Studio Editor package from Package Manager, and the problem looks like fixed now

6. kharerishit

kharerishit

THANK YOU OH MY GOODNESS. These multiple instances were so frustrating because if I didn't notice, every time I tried to save it would tell me "you've edited this file externally" and I would have to resolve like 5 windows.

Do you know what the difference is between the "Visual Studio Editor" and the "Visual Studio Code Editor" ? Just out of curiosity...

xXQuabbeXx and tomar8880 like this.
  7. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

VS code is a completely different IDE. It’s free and very customisable, but I don’t like it myself...

I’ve logged a bug to unity about this multiple instances issue but they’re struggling to reproduce it. Please log a bug with a new empty project that reproduces the bug as that may help them.

8. giggioz

giggioz

Wow, that worked for me, thank you so much.
    A lot of answers on internet just mention to delete the project files (which did not work for me).

9. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

please log a bug with unity. They seemed to think it was something specific to me and my project but it's obviously not. the more people that log it the better chance they'll resolve it.

10. andrin2020

andrin2020

THANK YOU!!! Nothing else worked. You have saved me countless headaches and precious minutes.

11. zoranigic

zoranigic

I have to remove both "Visual Studio Code Editor" and "Visual Studio Editor" packages, restart unity and THANKS GOOD!

12. tomcarnevale

tomcarnevale

Removing VS editor did not work UNTIL i restarted the project.

Unity 2020.20b7

Issue seems to be with the editor package, although ive always had issues using VSCode (not VS) with unity on macOS, specifically with the IDE knowing what unityengine classes are and being able to quick fix classes that havent been imported

13. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I heard back from QA at unity. Apparently it’s to do with the automation permissions for unity hub and VS being disabled in the latest MacOS. Open your security settings find automation in the list and see if you can turn them back on.

in my case i cannot because the applications are not in MacOS security automation settings to allow me to turn them back on. :/

I’m not sure how to add them and haven’t got a reply about it yet.

14. deex

deex

fixed it for me too! 3 years later! :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  15. jmenossi

jmenossi

In my case (Windows 10, VS Community 2019 and Unity 2020.1.9), nothing of the above worked, but I noticed the problem didn't reproduce when I changed project's path.
    Don't know what was wrong with the folder/subfolder name. No special characters or too many subfolder levels.
    A new project in the same folder than the original didn't work, but creating or moving it to a different folder was fine.

16. ChiuGa

ChiuGa

Thank you! fixed it. you save my time!

17. syamilsynz

syamilsynz

In my case using unity 2020, this happen after I update Visual Studio. Therefore, you need to update visual studio editor at unity also.

Unity > Window -> Package Manager > select unity Packages: In Project > Visual Studio Editor > Click Button Update

18. MarkA2049

MarkA2049

I have the same problem, but I notice it only happens when I create a new script, and only the first time I open that script. If I close the new instance of VS then reopen the script, it will go to the VS I already had open. Win 10, Unity 2020.2

Won't removing the VS editor package also remove intellisense and VS actually knowing what the Unity classes are?

Davidjsap likes this.
  19. Davidjsap

Davidjsap

I too am nervous about removing the editor package, worried that will make things worse and not better. Can anyone confirm what removing the package does?

20. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

You don’t need to worry. I removed it and it seemed ok. You can always add it back in.

Fyi this bug seems fixed now, I’m on the latest VS on macOS and the latest unity and packages.

21. gegabal

gegabal

Thank you !~

22. ivanngoc

ivanngoc

23. BerndRos

BerndRos

My solution is to swap in Edit/Preferences/External Tools to "Visual Studio Community 2022"

24. Nixokol

Nixokol

What worked for me is the following:
    • Open your Unity project.
    • In your tabs go to Window / Package Manager.
    • When it opens, click on Visual Studio Editor.
    • If it is out of date, you will see an "Update to" button appear next to the "Remove" button in the bottom-right corner of the Package Manager window.
    • Click "Update to".
    • When the update is finished, try opening your scripts again. It should now open all scripts in the same instance of Visual Studio. If it still opens different instances, try restarting your Unity.
    Hope that helps! It worked for me!;)

25. Feral_Pug

Feral_Pug

I tried everything in this thread, switching back to VS 2019 from 2022 works. Maybe using the latest VS doesn't work so well...

26. unity_R15D8-qo-lxJ3A

unity_R15D8-qo-lxJ3A

Might be too late, but I've just encountered this problem on Windows 11, VS 2019 and managed to solve it. What works for me is to delete all the .csproj files, the .sln file AND the hidden .vs folder.

Edited: never mind, after some time it starts acting up again...

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  27. kanoder

kanoder

I just changed machine, with an updated Unity (2021.3.14f1) and VS (Version 16.11.26) and still having this issue .. it's really annoying

28. JoyceBosmans

JoyceBosmans

I've tried the above solutions but nothing seems to work for me. Also, unable to remove Visual Studio Editor in the package manager. Using Unity version 2022.3.14f1. Any ideas?

29. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Please make sure you are using the latest VS Editor Package (2.0.22) and the latest VS 2022 17.8.3.
    Regarding the package manager, perhaps you need to use the "unlock" button to be able to properly use a newer version.

Thanks!

30. R1PFake

R1PFake

It usually works fine for me, but sometimes VS will open a dialog and ask you to adjust the file endings of the current file, if you try to open a new script, while this dialog is open, it will open a whole new instance. So make sure that you close this dialog before you try to open any new scripts.

31. zeinhatduong

zeinhatduong

Y'all, updating the Visual Studio Editor and Visual Studio Code Editor Package to the latest version fixes it all, no need to delete any files (i don't even know where and what the csproj and sln files are)