Search Unity

Why do the mobile shaders look so terrible?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by LilGames, Sep 18, 2017.

1. LilGames

LilGames

I am using Unity 5.6.3f1, making a project for Android (and WebGL). Everywhere in docs and discussions related to optimization and mobile, I read that we should use the "Mobile" shaders. However they look absolutely horrible compared to the Legacy shaders, which I read some people resort to for performance instead.

Am I doing something wrong? Why does it look so dark with Mobile shader but "normal" with a Legacy shader? (In fact the Legacy shader looks almost identical to how it is with a Standard shader):

mobile-diffuse.jpg

legacy-diffuse.jpg

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Common work quality vs speed meme.

Same applies to shaders. Look Good or Process Fast, you've gotta choose.

3. BrianND

BrianND

Are you using point lights? Mobile diffuse only supports per vertex or SH point lights. So your lighting will look different.

AcidArrow likes this.
  4. LilGames

LilGames

There are point lights and spot lights and one directional light (the only one casting a shadow). All are static. I have "lightmap static" enabled on each material (only 2 materials in this shot). Graphics quality is default "Good".

If I use "Mobile Vertex Lit", I get this oversaturated horror show:

mobile-vertex-lit.jpg

Is this normal? So I thought, OK I need to bake the lighting again. I GOT THIS!
    mobile-vertex-lit_rebaked.jpg

:eek: :mad:

5. LilGames

LilGames

Looks like light baking has a cumulative effect and requires clearing... (strange that it does not do this automatically).