Search Unity

Question Why do my bundles have Missing(Object) in the preload table?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by lejean, Oct 19, 2020.

1. lejean

lejean

I'm implementing addressables and installed the asset bundle browser to inspect the bundles.

I just put a material in a single bundle and the preload table contains loads of Missing (object).
    What does this mean?

missing.png

Also if I put that same material together with the textures in a bundle, the preload table contains duplicate textures and also missing objects.
    duplicate.png

Is this intended?
    Do I ignore this?
    Does addressable take care off this automatically?

2. CameronND

CameronND

I am seeing the same thing. Does anyone have an explanation?

3. lejean

lejean

Still interested in this answer, now that I'm revisiting this I got bundles that have thousands of Missing (Object)

2021-08-13 18_44_30-Window.png

4. lejean

lejean

Come on, anyone from unity that can weigh in on this??

5. Tha_Fuerst

Tha_Fuerst

Bump.

Also experiencing this issue. AssetBundle inspector is nearly unusable because the editor stalls everytime I want to scroll in that huge list full of Missing Objects.

6. luistorres_emvenci

luistorres_emvenci

7. Nullrigin

Nullrigin

Anyone found out anything?

8. AndrewSkow

AndrewSkow

Unity Technologies

This may be entirely an issue with the Asset Bundle browser, which was a tool that was created prior to Addressables and which unfortunately cannot handle AssetBundles with a lot of objects (because it tries to populate the UI with too many entries).

Normally it should not be necessary to inspect things at the preload table level. This is some internal book keeping required by Unity. It tracks all the objects that will be loaded in conjunction with loading each root object (e.g. the material, prefab etc etc). Those objects can actually be "built-in" shaders and other objects, or objects inside other AssetBundles.

I suspect that the UI is trying to resolve the references back to objects in a way that doesn't work for all object types, perhaps built-in objects show up as Missing? So unless you are observing that something is actually broken i suspect this is more of a UI limitation than actual missing data.

If you feel like digging in to understand a bit more about how things work then it is possible to look at the raw info of the references by expanding the AssetBundle with UnityDataTools (or WebExtract / Binary2Text), that would show exactly what those "Missing objects" entries point to.

As an example small Preload table:

Code (CSharp):
    1.   m_PreloadTable  (vector)
    2.         size 2 (int)
    3.         data  (PPtr<Object>)
    4.             m_FileID 1 (int)
    5.             m_PathID 8028051458226250111 (SInt64)
    6.         data  (PPtr<Object>)
    7.             m_FileID 0 (int)
    8.             m_PathID 7395359030061443441 (SInt64)
    The first object has m_FileID > 0, so that means it is inside another file. There is a listing of the external files at the of the file. If the filename has a name like "CAB-..." then it is inside another AssetBundle.

The second object in the example above is inside the same AssetBundle file, e.g. the ID 7395359030061443441 will be found assigned to an object directly in that same UnityDataTools/binary2text dump.

senghoff and lejean like this.