Search Unity

Question Why do constant buffers require compute shader support?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by MateiGiurgiu, Feb 2, 2023.

1. MateiGiurgiu

MateiGiurgiu

I noticed that creating a constant buffer using
    new GraphicsBuffer(GraphicsBuffer.Target.Constant ... )
    on a platform that doesn't support compute shader fails with this error:

Attempting to create a graphics buffer that requires compute shader support, but compute shaders are not supported on this platform. Target: Constant

My question is why do constant buffers require compute shader support? I am personally using them only to upload data to a non-compute (regular) shader, and I believe constant buffers are the most widely supported ways to upload data to a shader.

2. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Hi, I'm not sure how to answer your question. Maybe it was added along with compute shader support, so older GPU or drivers don't support it.

You can check the #pragma documentation.
    ComputeBuffer.jpg

If you only need to read the data, I think you can try (uncompressed) texture sampling?

3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Which platform is that?

4. bgolus

bgolus

@wwWwwwW1 The OP's question is about GraphicsBuffers, not specifically structured buffers / compute buffers. They're different (though compute buffers can also be used as constants now).

Unity's own documentation has this to say about a constant GraphicsBuffer:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/GraphicsBuffer.Target.html
    That would imply they should work even without compute shader support, which means that error is likely a bug.

@MateiGiurgiu I would suggest reporting this as a bug via the in-editor bug reporting menu.

5. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Not all platforms support constant buffers. At the very least GLES 2.0 and DX9 don't. If either of those are your target the bug is actually the message, not the fact it doesn't work.

6. MateiGiurgiu

MateiGiurgiu

We are not supporting GLES 2.0 and neither DX9. This issue happened on a GLES 3.0 device with shader level 3.5.

7. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

AFAIK constant buffers need shader model 4.0 at the very least.

8. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

@MateiGiurgiu FWIW we disable constant buffer support on some GLES 3.0 devices (Adreno 3xx).

eizenhorn likes this.