Search Unity

Why do Changelogs on the website take so long to update?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by dgoyette, Jan 16, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

It seems like there's a fairly significant (hours, days maybe) delay between when an update to a package becomes available via the Package Manager, and the time when the changelog for that update is available on the https://docs.unity3d.com/ website. I can't think of a single time a new update appeared in the Package Manager where I was immediately able to view the changelog for that update.

Some examples right now are:
    • Addressables: 1.51 available in Package Manager, Changelog only shows up to 1.50.
    • Probuilder: 4.3.0-preview.2 in Package Manager, Changelog only shows 4.3.0-preview.1
    Is this delay the result of the package maintainers only updating the changelog some time after releasing the package? Is there a delay in the https://docs.unity3d.com/ actually showing the updated changelog?

I find this frustrating because when I see a new package, I want to know what's in it, to inform whether I'll update the package or not. But instead I end up waiting a day or two until the changelog is available.

2. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

I can see if we can get answer for you @dgoyette, I'll send this over!

dgoyette likes this.
  3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks. It's not clear to me whether changelogs are published along with package updates, or whether they're separate. So it's not clear whether these are cases where the package authors haven't gotten around to publishing the changelogs, or whether there's a problem with the Unity docs site that delays them.

A day later and the Addressables and Probuilder changelogs on docs.unity3d.com still don't reflect the latest release.

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

5. dgoyette

dgoyette

An on a similar topic, are there any plans to view the changelog content within the package manager itself? I understand sending users off to an external link for full documentation, but it always struck me as odd that I can't see the changelog from the package manager.

JakHussain likes this.
  6. paultan

paultan

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback dgoyette. We are working on aligning the publication along with the package release.

dgoyette likes this.