Search Unity

Why can't we use C++?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by unity_ug_L3iXXoXsm-g, Nov 14, 2017.

1. unity_ug_L3iXXoXsm-g

unity_ug_L3iXXoXsm-g

Why doesn't unity use C++ instead of C#? C++ is the most widely used programming language. Most every job opening I see for programmers are for C++ experience.
    I know you can work around it and still use C++, but that's a hassle. I've seen many people complain about this for years. Any word of the creators of Unity itself about this subject?

2. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

IMHO what you gain in any potential performance game is then lost by readability and the speed at which you can create new features within your game. C# is a nice and simple managed language which allows for super quick creation of applications which is especially useful within games where iteration and prototyping is super important.

A lot of people using Unity are beginners, using C++ would put a lot of people off because the learning curve is steeper and more error-prone.

3. unity_ug_L3iXXoXsm-g

unity_ug_L3iXXoXsm-g

Yeah I understand that and I agree that it's a lot more user friendly, but still, the majority of game developers use C++, so I think it's kind of odd that Unity doesn't at least add the option. Would probably massively increase the amount of users too.

4. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

Got a source? I would be interested to take a look.
    Specifically for game programmers not engine developers etc.

5. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Goes both ways. I started using Unity specifically because I could write managed code.

Also if you check out the Unite talk on the new entity component and job systems you'll see that they have managed C# code running at, or faster, than C++ code.

They've already sunset their 2 other language options to focus efforts on making C# support first class. I'd prefer they continue down that path.

I doubt that actually. Doesn't Unity already basically own the world? :)

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

7. nat42

nat42

Why is this posted in "Scripting", very few games or programmers (as far as I'm aware) choose C++ for "scripting".

I think that's what the OP means by "I know you can work around it and still use C++, but that's a hassle."

unity_ug_L3iXXoXsm-g likes this.
  8. Brathnann

Brathnann

I know way back when I discovered Unity, I picked it because I knew c# from my days of developing windows forms, asp.net stuff, and other programs for windows.

While it wouldn't bother me if they support c++ as well, I'd rather them focus on making c# the best it can be then try to spend research time on adding c++ in.

Considering the broad amount of engines out there, there are quite a few languages being used in game development, so I'm happy with their choice.