Search Unity

Why can't we tag NativeList and NativeHashMap with [DeallocateOnJobCompletion]?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Abbrew, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Abbrew

Abbrew

Someone discovered that NativeHashMap is implemented using 3 NativeArrays which can be automatically deallocated inside a job. Likewise NativeList might be implemented as a wrapper for NativeArray with resizing capabilities. Is there a reason why despite this those two data structures cannot be deallocated inside a job? Without the ability to do so, we have to implement some strange workarounds to dispose of NativeLists and NativeHashMaps without breaking job dependency chains

2. Yoreki

Yoreki

I'm bumping this since i'd also like to know why, and it's the only question i found about it.
    The other problem i have with manually disposing nativehashmaps is that [DeallocateOnJobCompletion] deallocates the memory from that worker thread (to my knowledge), while if we have to manually call .Dispose() outside of jobs, it ends up taking up time on the mainthread, thus potentially introducing spikes. Or am i missing something?

3. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

Dispose(JobHandle inputDeps) was added relatively recently to all the containers and solves that problem.

4. davenirline

davenirline

Does this mean that it can be tagged now?

5. Soaryn

Soaryn

Mmmmm dont think so. I think you need to use the dispose passing the jobhandle afterwards in the scheduling...

However, it'd be nice to be qble to just tag it. Unsure of the performance impact/ dev yime cost for unity though to implement that.