Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't I move a terrain?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by psychicparrot, Feb 29, 2008.

1. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Probably a daft question, but I can't seem to find a way to move a terrain.

Why would you want to do that you might ask! Well, we have an existing level that contains a ground plane and everything already placed on it. I'm trying to align the terrain up and replace the old ground plane. Sure, I could move everything to match the terrain but it would be much easier to move the terrain.

What am I missing? When I try to click on the terrain to move it, it doesn't seem to let me do anything with it other than paint on it.

Thanks!

2. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

Sorry to say, you're not missing anything. It's just that the terrain object is anchored in the world to simplify the coordinate system.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain for retrofitting old content, but for new-built content, it's not a much of a problem.

(There have been threads about this before, and some people have wanted to multiple, mobile terrains to tile content, but that's either not needed because the terrain can be quite large, or you can still load a new level to move from one to the next.)

3. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Ah ok.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I'll just do it the other way around ...

4. blockimperium

blockimperium

And that works so long as your game is a 'level' based design. If you're a free flowing world based designed, you've gotta go back to the drawing board and implement a terrain engine (and supporting tools) from scratch.

5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Request to move terrain!