Search Unity

Why can't I connect vertices?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by dgoyette, Aug 4, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

This is something that confuses me from time to time. See the image below. There's a quad with a couple of extra verts half-way along it. I've circled the two verts I've selected:

upload_2019-8-3_19-58-32.png

If I try to Connect Vertices on these two verts, it doesn't create an edge between the two. So I'm just curious what I'm missing about Connect Vertices if it doesn't connect them? What are the conditions needed for two verts to be connected?

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Those should connect fine, you are not crazy :p

Items to check:
    - they belong to the same mesh
    - the verts are not split, ie you might have a vert from a wall and a vert from the floor selected, if they are separated (4 possible verts there
    - there isn't some corrupted/hidden geometry there ... if you switch to Edge mode, is there maybe an edge going diagonally across, blocking the Connect path?

Hope that helps!

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for this happening in the future. It seems I've already remodeled the specific bit in my screenshot, and trying to reproduce this result in Connect Vertices working exactly as expected. Thanks for the reply. If I find a way to reproduce this in the future, which isn't explained by your list, I'll report it.

Thanks again.

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  4. DiamondWolf2

DiamondWolf2

Something to consider: Make sure your verts are properly welded. You need to have hidden vert selection enabled in order to weld verts that are in the exact same spot for some reason. You can also use Merge Objects to make the two meshes into the same mesh.

BrainSlugs83 likes this.