Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't I add a Keyframe to the first frame of an animation?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kevdotbadger, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kevdotbadger

kevdotbadger

Hello, I'm confused by the animation editor. I create a new animation, then click record and start making changes, however I can't seem to add a keyframe to the first frame without editing an object. Is this normal? Do i have to first make a change, then add a keyframe, then go back to the first frame and revert all my changes back to an 'idle' state?

tbriz likes this.
  2. austint30

austint30

Me too 3 years later.

3. austint30

austint30

Oh wait I found out why. Just add a keyframe later on the timeline and it automatically adds it at the beginning.

4. wardevour

wardevour

CharlesFSG, Progabo and Kixerus like this.
  5. Saeedbri

Saeedbri

thanks bro reallllly much

troywatt likes this.
  6. OrderOfOut

OrderOfOut

Unbelievable how unintuitive this is. I forget this every time I don't use Mechanim for a long stretch of time, then I remember why I usually hack out my own simple code based animators instead. This part of Unity really, really needs an overhaul.

I should be able to create an empty animation clip and drag a sprite onto it. When that doesn't work, it means there's a massive design problem.

7. stevecsalkers

stevecsalkers

It is actually mind-boggling how ancient and inefficient this system is. Just adding a function to create initial keys for multiple objects would immediately 10x the Unity animation creation process. But of course that would deter people from spending 100s of dollars on the asset store or 1000s on 3D software amirite?

tbriz likes this.
  8. Lippy_Brightman

Lippy_Brightman

this is actually F***ing ridiculous. why cant i just drag a sprite into the animaiton windows, creating a keyframe.

reza_b_mirzaei likes this.
  9. Unicorneyelasers

Unicorneyelasers

7 years later and this was a super big help. Thank you!

Cady1028 likes this.
  10. clotton

clotton

Thank you for your helpful solution!

reza_b_mirzaei likes this.
  11. spider853

spider853

But, let's say I have a lot of bones, how to I restore the initial behaviour of autocreating initial keyframe? I don't want to select the bones I want to animate, or select everything (I might not even animate) and add a keyframe, but have the behaviour of creating these keyframe when I'm moving?
    I actually like that behaviour more because if I want it to insta snap to a different position, I can just animate on frame 0