Search Unity

Why assets on the Unity store are so cheap?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Brighteye_Kr, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Brighteye_Kr

Brighteye_Kr

Hello, I'm a student, and I'm new to Unity.

After 10 hours of exploring the Unity Assets it just blows my mind, but also trigger my defend mechanic in my brain too.

There are so many great contents here, and a lot of them are so cheap (way too cheap).

For example, this hold pack is just 15 USD, are you kidding me !? but hold on, there are more. So many good PBR content are below 100 USD, but wait what !? they give you a hold city !?

Is this a normal thing here? because this is NOT a normal thing from where I came from. Is this reliable or can be used in the real game development ? because if these things can be used in the real developing process it would be so awesome.

2. mgear

mgear

you can create such materials with substance tools,
    so i guess they cannot be too expensive (since there are many free substances available also)

Brighteye_Kr likes this.
  3. Brighteye_Kr

Brighteye_Kr

I'm not a professional and I never used substance painter, but anyways I used to do a 3D model like this:

I used to hire people who do these kinds of thing and it cost me a lot, and after I saw this Asset Store it just blows my mind and couldn't believe it at the first sign.

I Google this topic for a while and It started to make sense now.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, it's real. Custom services are always more expensive than stock products. That's because a custom product is sold only once; stock products (like these in the Asset Store) are hopefully sold many times to many customers.

Ryiah, Brighteye_Kr and hippocoder like this.
  5. Brighteye_Kr

Brighteye_Kr

Good to know that. That's mean we can use it right? I just hire them to do a unique thing but when it come to a non-important thing or universal object these Asset Store can provide a lot of powerful tools. Oh, Unity is such a good tools for a Indy developer.

Thank you for your information.

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, that's right. I mean read the license of whatever you buy, but the standard Asset Store license means you can use it in any project you create, even stuff that you sell.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There's a lot of competition, and it is one of the rare marketplaces where almost anyone who would be a customer also has the skill set and tools to sell their own products on the same market. At that point it is just simple supply/demand driving prices down.

It wasn't long ago Unity stepped in and required a $5 minimum to help alleviate the race to the bottom.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but they come with the downside that anyone can purchase and use them in their game meaning nothing on the store will have a uniqueness to it.

9. Inegvin

Inegvin

I didn't visit the Asset Store for two years already. But since then prices went down a lot. No idea how authors still making money from it 0_0

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

We had a thread related to it not too long ago (linked below) and the consensus from people who have regularly sold assets on the store is that unless you're very successful it's not cost effective to maintain assets sold on the store.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/why-are-there-so-many-abandoned-packages.869881/