Search Unity

Why are unity graphics fuzzy?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Hawk0077, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Im new to unity but have been spending money buying great assets only to have them basically destroyed by unity. I know that sounds like a complaint but really I am not qualified to complain. I would just like top know if I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

In the edit window everything looks nice and sharp. But in the play window everything is fuzzed up. I am using a samsung 4k TV as a monitor with a GTX 1018Ti grapohics card so things should be all crystal clear sharp but if you look at the images below, especially the close grass.... (I understand far images get less detail by the mip settings per graphic etc).... you will see the grass is terrible and cheap looking instead of sharp and realistic/ish?

Is there a graphics setting I am missing somewhere?

2018-11-16.jpg

The above image on the p[lay side/right does have post processing applied a little but even without the grass and trees are stull fuzzy.

Any guidance appreciated, thanks

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

There is a slider on top of the game view, make sure it’s set to 1 (all the way to the left)

(And if that’s the case, dear Unity, maybe that slider was a bad idea? Maybe make it harder to change?)

Hawk0077 likes this.
  3. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

It could also be your anti-aliasing. It usually looks bad when game graphics have jagged edges, but sprites are made out of pixels, and pixel graphics naturally have jagged edges. Anti-aliasing is an effect that intentionally blends the edges of your objects with whats around them to make the edges "soft" and less jagged.

Try disabling MSAA on your camera, disable anti-aliasing in your Quality settings, and disabling the Anti-aliasing effect on your post-process stack (if you have it).

https://www.showthedata.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/anti-aliasing.jpg

Hawk0077 likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

uh, looks like your settings for post effects to me. Put both scene and game in view and compare them. The scene window has a little square icon you can use to make it also show post effects like the game view.

Then you can modify the post effects. In your shot, it is the editor view that's currently lying to you. Press the tv icon to make it show what the game is really rendering. Then you can fix it.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  5. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks, much appreciated, I will look at the suggestions... I am just updating a veg studio so will be a few mins. Thanks

6. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks AcidArrow... I am using 2018.3 latest beta and it was set at low resolution x3. I deselected the low resolution setting and it them moved down to x1 and although not perfect it is much better. Thanks again. I will now see the suggestions below. Much appreciated.

7. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks for the response Gambit-MSplitz, Asid Arrows Suggestion helped a lot. I al;ready have MSAA disabled on camera. Anti Aliasing was on 4x but I disabled it anyway for now. Not sure if it made a difference though. I will keep my eye on that as I do more work tomorrow. Thanks again for the tip, much appreciated.

Actually, i Just discovered the anti-aliasing on the camera which was set (every tutorial I have watched uses this setting) at: Temporal-AntiAliasing, I knocked it off and its brilliantly sharp now. I jusy have to take one more uggestion into account. Thanks, much appreciated.

8. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks, thats goods to know that it was the scene view lying. Either way, I believe it was now mainly the TAA setting on the camera.

Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated, Unity now looks like a pro tool. Awesome.

9. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

2018-11-17-(2).jpg Thanks fellas, It now looks nice and sharp. It looks much sharper live than in the screenshot below too so I am very pleased now.

Thanks for the superb help everyone. Much appreciated. I'm glad to know that although I Cant..., there is "a Man That Can"... all the best

10. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Oh whilst I am here (i may post a new topic later if needs be).... I have been told that unity cant handle what I am trying to do.

As a novice I see the workflow as creating a terrain (open world) getting that to run well and then adding the small bits related to an actual game.

In short I am trying to create an open world game... I have a couple of projects on the go two are large terrains... The one mentioned above is 4096x4096 which is quite large but as you can see using high quality graphics my fps is now down to 40-60 which doesnt leave much room for adding anything at all really if I am targeting 60fps.

So would I be better off moving to another engine such as unreal. I know far cry 5 was created with ue4 so have some kinda proof that the engine can handle the job.

Any advice ot tips welcome. Many thanks.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity is best at open world stuff at the moment, at least for rendering with stuff like vegetation studio pro. Unreal doesn't have anywhere near this level of tooling, you would have to do a lot of manual work over there in C++ land to match.

TLDR all engines do it, but Unity is easiest / has the most solutions.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  12. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks, I did take a short dip so to speak and it did seem like what you are saying and beyond me personally.

I have noticed a massive difference in fps using the latest unity beta along side VSPro. Easy roads and Cscape are also relatively inexpensive assets.

The only issue I can now see before me is really:

Sea - Aquas kills the scene
    Rivers - R.A.M is not far in front of aquas
    Learning to optimize

So the third point above will have to get some focus at this point on.

I should then have a pretty good foundation to build a game. I am not a developer so that is the way I tend to look at it. I just need to maintain the quality and 60fps.

R.AM. Rivers have just degraded the fps somewhat, so need to work around that issue before moving onto the sea.

My ignorant self believed he could create a GTA, Farcry type game without issue. Just creating. haha more fool me.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just keep pottering about, build your knowledge. Give the process a chance and gain experience.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  14. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

Far Cry 5 wasn't made with UE4, it's made with Dunia Engine, by Ubisoft. Honestly Unity hasn't been the best in open world games (outdated terrain, laggy world streaming) but they JUST fixed it (see the latest keynote), so it might pay to stick around.

Some of the best indie open world games like Rust (most popular on Steam!) and The Forest were made in Unity though, so even though it's not the best for now, it's possible and it's proof that the engine can handle the job too.

Edit: Also, your terrain looks amazing! Good job.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  15. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks for that, I watched a video that said it was ue4, youtubers??? wannbees... I am using the latest beta version and it is much improved but whilst testing in upto 2017 versions I was ready to dump it all. The larger projects anyway.

Moving to 2018 and VS Pro have really made all the difference and made me want to stick around reinforced by what yourself and hyppocoder have said... so thanks, much appreciated. Untity is definitely more intuitive that ue4.

So it seems my job really at present is to optimize.

It did hit me though yesterday whilst watching the farcry video that the grasses etc where/seemed to be larger, lower quality but brought to life by post processing. That may be something to look into also in a performance enhancing bid. But I havent really played with PP yet.

I will definitely check out those games you mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

As far as my terrain, it is starting to look great but I dont deserve the credit, its mostly down to Lennart and his Vegatation Studio Pro.

16. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

lol, thanks for the .... confidence boost. much appreciated. I am still atr the creative "wsee what I can do" stage and will be here some time as I wasnt to do this in levels but cant wait until I can get into C# proper.

I do occasionally do youtube projects such as getting fish to swarm etc... which I can most likely use for birds and other waypoint type systems and that was really fun.

The game above will most likely involve some of the adventure type projects available on YT also so will try and do a couple of those "upgrade tool" type projects in preparation if I can.

Thanks again hyppocoder. I will definitely stick around. Ive actually invested too much to dump unity to be honest but it is getting to be an engine that can handle what I am trying to do. Question is "can I"? time will tell and prove positive me thinks.

Thanks again.

17. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Oh lastly I am hoping (I havent found or looked for a way at present) that the unity terrain eventually includes a splitting tool to be able to, not just add multi tile terrains but to be able to split an existing (4096x4095) for example into smaller parts (512x512 or 1024x1024 tiles)... and spread the terrain over those tiles.

Importing a 4096x4096 into a set of 1024x1024 tiles just adds the terrain to one tile and doesnt spread it over the 16 set.
    But I havent tried as the betas have developed from 0b3 beta...

But saying that with my experiments with 2017 it didnt matter whether you had a 4096x4096 or 512x512 terrain the fps drop was the same when the terrain itself was made active/inactive.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Ask over on the world building forum.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  19. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks, I actually just found that but because my initial enquiries have been general I have just stuck to the general forum. Thanks again

20. aggaton

aggaton

Hi, I have an issue with the graphics when running the executable versus editor. In the editor everything runs beautifully with default graphics setting at ultra upload_2021-10-23_17-56-50.png
    However when running the executable after build everything looks crappy, branches with leaves are not detailed and flowers are mostly big blobs, though some closer looks better but still mostly blobs upload_2021-10-23_17-59-23.png
    How do I fix this?

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Maybe start a new thread about this, since it's unrelated. Are you sure the build is running on Ultra?

Also is this using built-in RP?

22. aggaton

aggaton

Oh, you are right, somehow I thought I was posting in General Graphics.

I am using built-in RP, and how do I check what graphics level the build is running, I would assume it would pick up the one I set in the Graphics section in settings.

23. aggaton

aggaton

I also see something very weird while having the graphics window open during the build, the quality setting jumps up to low quality and then down again while building!!! What is going on here?