Search Unity

Why are my prefab and model previews not showing?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sballew7, Jul 12, 2019.

1. sballew7

sballew7

My prefabs and models are showing up with a black preview. Same with the animation preview window.

I imported some assets into my project, and those render correctly. If I duplicate one of those prefabs, the duplicated instance will instantly have a black preview. I didn't even modify the duplicate.

Has anybody seen this? How can I fix it?

Thanks!

2. sballew7

sballew7

This is now happening on every prefab in my project. It's becoming pretty difficult to navigate my project as a result. Any input is appreciated.

3. sballew7

sballew7

I made some progress. I have a custom LWRP configuration in place. When that is in use, all my asset previews are black. When I switch back to the standard LWRP configuration and reimport, they work.

That's unfortunate, and I'll have to find some other workaround or wait for this bug to be fixed.

4. Probably your materials and shaders. More info for example here:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/02/2...er-pipeline-optimizing-real-time-performance/

5. TimCoster

TimCoster

I'm having this problem too with 2019.3.5f1 on MacOS. When I remove the URP Asset from the pipeline settings all the preview images work after I reimport them but then they're all pink because I'm using URP Shaders..
    With the URP Asset enabled in the settings all the preview images are just black..

6. Bip901

Bip901

alexeyterno likes this.
  7. Pau-Setup

Pau-Setup

Something that it worked for me:

Select all the prefabs that you see black. Disable the Mesh Renderer from the inspector to all of them, and enable it again. That will force Unitys project file manager to refresh the preview of the prefab mesh.

alexeyterno and Gianetti like this.
  8. trikingo

trikingo

This was happening to me on Unity 2021.1.14f1, I didn't have any Mesh Renderer on my prefabs, but selecting them all and disabling-enabling a BoxCollider2D worked as well. Probably changing any value will force them to refresh. Now they show correctly again.

9. lipisis

lipisis

Unity doesn't seem to refresh prefab preview if you change actual mesh on Mesh Renderer as that's what I was doing. Simply disabled/enable of entire object with a Mesh sorted it (although had to refresh folder a few times)

10. mahito2932

mahito2932

This actual issues causing a collider if you disable collider of your model or prefab it gonna appear after you set collider enabled it gonna disappear once again so there's no need to disable mesh or prefab itself just disable colliders on it.

P.S. to fix it you actually need to replace all colliders on your prefabs. That's something to do with the size of the collider