Search Unity

Resolved Why are guardian boundaries not mentioned in tutorials

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by kay-developer, Aug 20, 2021.

1. kay-developer

kay-developer

Unity VR tutorials don't talk about guardian boundries and Unity VR examples don't show me any warning when I am close to punching a wall.
    I find this very odd and I was wondering if there is a reason why the guardian is not included Unity VR tutorials?

2. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

3. kay-developer

kay-developer

Setting up the guardian is not the problem and is well described at the link above and https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-find-play-area-from-xr-interaction-toolkit.944358/.

All the getting started with VR tutorials I came across didn't include guardian and me not seeing my oculus guardian when I come close to a wall, made me wonder the following:
    If you publish a game, without putting effort into showing the guardian to the player, will the player have a guardian, no guardian or does it depend on the type of brand of headset they have.

4. R1PFake

R1PFake

You can access the points to get the size / shape of the play area, but the guardian it self is always handled by the headset and not by the app/game.
    If you move close to a wall in real life and your guardian doesn't show up then there is a problem with your guardian setup or headset, some headsets allow you to change the color or even disable the guardian in the developer mode, maybe you accidently disabled it in the headset settings? Or does it show up in other games?

With the Oculus API you can request it to show/hide the guardian, but even if you request it to be hidden, it should still (re)activate itself if you walk near a wall (all headsets have this behavior), otherwise that would be a bug somewhere in their code, because it would be a huge safety issue / concern if every app could decide to fully disable the guardian by itself.

So I think the answer to your question is that you don't have to worry about the guardian, because it's handled by the headsets itself.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    kay-developer likes this.
  5. kay-developer

kay-developer

Thank you. Good to know that the guardian will be automatically handled by the headset.

Next to that you probably saved me from hitting my tv at some point. My guardian was not working at all anymore. I replaced my guardian with something safer than the Occulus guardian, but I guess it stopped working after an Oculus update.