Search Unity

Discussion Why are all the packages broken?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragonalumni, Sep 11, 2022.

1. dragonalumni

dragonalumni

Regardless if it's a 2d or 3d tutorial, it's broken.

Try installed RPG creator kit in 2022. (It's listed as U2019 and up) (protip it only works in U2019, but it does at least compile, but not work in U2020)

Try downloading the 3rd person example and adding a single empty script and watching the whole thing bomb.

I had several other practice projects die the moment I tried to use Unity packages.

The last week has been nothing but frustration by trying to just use the Unity provide examples.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are you referring to the following tutorial?

https://learn.unity.com/project/creator-kit-rpg

Because while the dropdown box lists 2019 and 2020 it does not list 2021 or 2022. If it's in the list it should work and you should report it as a bug, but if it isn't in the list it's not verified to be working and you shouldn't expect it to.

3. dragonalumni

dragonalumni

In this specific example I'm referring to that yes. It doesn't work in 2020 (with the link provided that is the only valid choice from the drop down menu, but still won't work if you DL it). If you do it 2019 you have to download URP separately to make it work.So much for a "scriptable rpg for kids".

From the asset store: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/creator-kit-rpg-149309

Requirements: Supported Unity versions 2019.1.0 or higher

Again, only 2019 works proper IF you download URP
    2020 doesn't work properly, 2021 is a dumpster fire.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Both of these worked flawlessly for me. While importing it mentioned that some packages needed to be updated and I allowed it to do so. After import I loaded the sample scene, added a script to a GameObject, and hit play.

2020.png
    2021.png

Unity 2019 was the first instance I ran into problems. See up until then I had been working with a copy of the asset downloaded through Unity 2020. Unity 2019 wasn't able to identify that the package was for a newer release and therefore had all sorts of problems with Unity Collab and a few problems with TMP.

After re-downloading the asset in Unity 2019 everything imported and ran flawlessly. I never had to manually add URP. I don't see this being a problem as a beginner will just download the latest and use that in most cases, and I don't see that being a problem going forward as the package manager is more intelligent in newer releases.

2019.png

Based on my own above experiments and the fact that I and many others have been using the package manager for years at this point it sounds like something is wrong on your end. Whether that's a connection issue, a faulty installation, etc I don't know.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  5. dragonalumni

dragonalumni

First, I want to say I appreciate that you took the time to test this and reply to my post. I'm not clear here, did you add the script to the 3d person core because I'm getting the same errors as documented here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/typ...not-match-expected-type.1320564/#post-8431247
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/input-system-1-4-1-released.1306062/page-2#post-8387901
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/input-system-1-3-0-released-more-fixes.1222632/

Are you downloading the RPG kit directly as a learning template? Because it doesn't exist for me, I have to first create a core project and later download the RPG kit from the store, 2020 doesn't have URP as a core project, so I had to make a 2d project, download the kit from the store and add URP separately.

I do have a very bad connection and I'm ignorant as to how that will effect this situation. What kind of problems can this cause?

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

I've had run into a problem with package manager a short while ago, where it failed to install a package because HDD was busy. Just failed and hung mid package intallation. I solved it by reinstalling onto SSD, but it is certainly not flawless.

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, I've also had the Package Manager do odd stuff where it couldn't access something that needed to be installed. I don't remember the details. It was easy enough to work around for me because I already knew what I was doing. I can definitely understand that kind of thing spoiling tutorials for newcomers.

This was some time ago, and it's entirely possible that the specific issue I ran into has been solved.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've experienced basically all the same issues with the package manager as I did with the asset store, just to different levels of severity.