Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Archviz in Unity (HDRP) feel more fake that in Unreal ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmorait, Apr 2, 2019.

1. keeponshading

keeponshading

here an nice example that shows nicelynice the importance in understanding post processing.
    eg_t2.jpg

which one looks more fake?.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. d12duke

d12duke

Hmm.. I don't know what to think about this thread and I actually took the time to read through it haha.

I'm achieving results in Unity that slightly exceed anything I could do in Unreal AND I don't have to "load" the asset I'm working with repeatedly....

keeponshading likes this.
  3. d12duke

d12duke

Buh-Ro... If you added specular, some blooming PP and increased the "smoothness" of the textures to the Unity's textures, it would be almost identical (if not better looking) than Unreal's..

What they did in that is also Not "out of the box" from both engines, it was simply the options chosen by the creator.. There was quite a bit more PP in the Unreal comparison...

4. keeponshading

keeponshading

such threads would be more rare when

* gamma mode would be not default
    * filmic tonemappert would be enabled by default
    * before you are allowed to enable unity bloom you must do an online course and your scene must pass an pbr check
    * processing stacks v1 and v2 got more love at the end
    * the blackboxed lighting asset would be open
    * projects like fontainebleau and fpsample existed earlier
    * blender cycles would do baking and progressive preview and is the core of the ScriptableBakePipeline
    .)
    HDRP corrects nearly everything above and i could not await the out of preview and final bakery shader.
    Baking is far from solved.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Pagi likes this.
  5. iamthwee

iamthwee

I haven't tried using HDRP yet, but this was baked using enlighten and final gather. I would expect to see higher contrast and a less washed out look with HDRP, I'd also like to see an improved AA solution but that could just be my mac.

testig2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    OCASM and petersx like this.
  6. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I’m currently working in both Unreal 4 and Unity. I would agree that Unity is really hurting themself with the lack of workable templates. It would be fantastic if Unity could provided more empty lighting scene for people to drag in some asset and see how pretty they look.

Another huge issue working for a big company the asset store is absolutely off limits. Legal would not let us touch any assets form the asset store we can’t even use collaborate for version control since its using off site storage.

This means we are heavily relying on unity made assets but they are sparse at best. A good example is native vector flow field support. This is native in Unreal but in unity we have to get it from the asset store which we can’t do. Same with preview packages, we simply cannot use them so someone please poke the code monkeys :) so we can get back to using Unity in production.

I kinda when off on a random tangent but this is my world at the moment. I prefer working in Unity by miles but forced to unreal :(

konsic likes this.
  7. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Wow

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

CWhile there is one stock demo scene that comes with the template (which is deal for setting thing sup and learning), the rest would be up to you.

Still, seems odd that the company would not allow houdini for example - there are some VFX vector tools coming too.

9. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Houdini is used to generate the vector flow fields but that format is not natively supported in Unity ( unless my info is outdated )

As far as the sample scene are concerned they very sparse. It all comes down to time constraints and I constantly hear people saying “ yea but in Unreal it look so good out of the box”. I want to used Unity because I truly believe in the workflow it offers. And one of the big big big arguments against it is in Unreal is so easy to make think look good. I don’t thing it a big task for unity to create these temples but believe me it will win so so many hearts and minds.

Also I should clarify , all asset are out of the question on asset store but that is not a big deal for artistic asset since that is created , I’m more taking about tool asset like UV editors, shader graphs, profiling tools witch ships with Unreal. By shipping with unreal there would be no legal issues but if I was to get say apmpliy shader editor for unity it would not fly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

How about open source assets from Github? A quick search turns up several results (I haven't looked into them) for vector flow fields alone.

Edit: Honestly though unless your legal team is just incompetent there shouldn't be any more legal problems with buying third party code assets than with buying licensed copies of Windows. Editor extensions have to be licensed per seat, but the same thing applies to Windows too.

11. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I’m not trying to solve any of my particular needs but simply trying to give some insight.

I think more related to this thread was the “yea but unreal look so good out of the box” and I want Unity to bury that argument forever

12. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

I use HDRP for ArchiViz, there is my result for now.

Attached Files:

RoughSpaghetti3211 and konsic like this.
  13. fpainchaud

fpainchaud

Reviving this thread for one post to give a nice link related to lighting: https://chrisbrejon.com/cg-cinematography/

Not game engine specific, but IMO the outlined lighting principles should be a must-know when doing serious game lighting.

iamthwee likes this.
  14. keeponshading

keeponshading

konsic likes this.
  15. konsic

konsic

Unity needs realtime screen space GI and lightmass calculation for fast archviz production.

16. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

I just made the jump from Unity to Unreal for some visualization projects, after struggling for some weeks with HDRP and after using Unity for 5+ years.
    I'm sure you can do in Unity what you can do in Unreal4.x, but wow, user friendliness is also a thing guys.
    With Unity I would have to get the right packages and config stuff and cross fingers while keeping an eye on the console that somehow always shows something in red.

In Unreal, it literally just works and functions are there where you expect them. It's such a relief. I can even switch on and off raytracing easily.

I don't even know where the console or package manager is. There's even lens flare by default. Try that in HDRP ;) ;) ;)

Having that said, that was just for some graphics tests. I'm not switching for my mobile or HoloLens2 or Magic Leap development, and programming in Unreal is probably HARD.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    G_Trex, Awarisu, Circool and 2 others like this.