Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Whole scene suddenly translates far away?

Discussion in 'AR' started by BLuanCube, Nov 19, 2020.

1. BLuanCube

BLuanCube

I've created a very basic scene using the Mixed Reality Toolkit, Hololens 2, and primitive shapes like capsules. I placed them all a few meters apart and started the Unity level before starting to wander around my home without looking at them. When I came back to that position, I noticed all of the objects had disappeared. After looking around for a bit, I noticed the whole level shifted about 50 meters away and up into the sky.

The exact same thing happened but in a different direction my next try.

During my third test, I went behind some walls and kept looking back at the objects in space. The objects flashed for a moment, then the whole scene suddenly translated about 2 meters away at a slightly lower height.

I'm convinced this is an issue with the Hololens getting surprised while mapping spaces. I know very little about the device, so I'm unsure if it's inadvisable to use the Hololens across multiple rooms like this.

Is this a known problem, where the HL suddenly horribly loses track of its space and everything shifts some distance? Or is there something I may have done in Unity that causes this whole translation? Or it's a problem with older Unity/MRTK?

If it matters, I'm using MRTK v2.2.0, and Unity v.2019.2.5.f1.

unityunity