Search Unity

Who to contact about spam filter issues?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by havox04, Jul 23, 2019.

1. havox04

havox04

I have been trying to post about a new project I am working on I’m the WIP section but the post keeps getting blocked for spam. Is there a way I can fix this or someone I can contact to get this issue resolved?

2. Baste

Baste

@UnityMaru can you guys please change the spam filter message so it's clear to legitimate new users that they can't put in a link in their first few posts? Because we keep getting this exact thread about once a day.

3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey!

Yeah, this has come up a few times in the past few days. I'll research this and see what we can do.

Baste likes this.
  4. havox04

havox04

Ah okay thankyou. Sorry about posting a thread complaining about it. I just didn’t know who to contact or what to do about it

5. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

It's quite alright :) I'll need to tinker the settings and just see if it's possible first.

6. havox04

havox04

Okay thanks for the help :)

7. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Hey there!

I've reached out and regretably, the error message is not changeable. We've had to reverse some of the recent spam changes we made so this particular error message should not appear as frequently as it did in the past.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It is easy to change but requires a programmer. That's correct.

9. Baste

Baste

Why on earth do you not take ownership of the forum software? You are completely incapable of properly fixing anything.

The forums software suck bigtime, and a lot of the suckage would not be hard to fix if you just allowed yourself to be able to fix it.

10. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

The feedback is noted - as I say, I've been advised that the error message is not going to appear anymore because users can post links as they always have been. The reason this happened in the first place was due to us implementing new rules to the spam filter that were over-zealous, that we have since reverted back from.

I'm in the midst of researching the forum software as I have only taken the reins of Community Management here for just over a month, and I am a firm believer that error messages should indeed be clearer. I'll be keeping a closer eye on this in the future and discuss with our webteam more on this as hippocoder has advised that this is somehow possible, but probably not something that I'd try to fix as a priority as the message probably isn't going to appear again now the spam rules were reverted.

Baste likes this.
  11. Baste

Baste

Hey, good luck on the community management!

And sorry for giving you a hard time, I know these things are not easy to just fix. You've got a ton of stuff dumped in your lap - the forum software is in a bad shape, Unity Answers is in a worse state, the Wiki has just been left to rot. Then there's Discord and Twitter that you have to handle.

12. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

I appreciate the passion, don't you worry :) You should see improvements across the board (no pun intended) in the coming months <3

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  13. Baste

Baste

How many threads are made by new members a day?

There's a lot of spam these days, but if a human person (like a moderator) checked every thread by a relatively new member before it was posted, that'd probably fix most of it. Of course, that all depends on the workload that would introduce - but I can't imagine that it's more than 100 or so threads, which means that if it takes about 30 seconds to open a thread, check it, and then accept/reject it, it would take 50 minutes a day. If that's spread over a bunch of mods, it's survivable.

It'd be especially survivable if being allowed to accept or reject new posts were a privilege that was given out to a lot more users than mods - Unity Answers did that automatically at a certain karma threshold, and it allowed that site to check pretty much every post for spam when I was active there.