Search Unity

Who the heck is the us government to ban me from using the asset store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MHD-Salka, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

WHEN EVER I TRY TO ACCESS THE ASSET STORE I GET THIS MESSAGE :

Your country is blocked due to the U.S. Government restrictions.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/blocked.html

UNITY TECHNOLOGIES IS BASED IN DENMARK AS FAR AS I KNOW, NOT THE US.

WHY SHOULD I HANDLE THE CONSEQUENCES OF MY SYRIAN GOVERNMENT POLICIES?

HOW CAN I PURCHASE UNITY AND PUBLISH THE APP I'VE SPENT 8 MONTH DEVELOPING?

YES I CAN USE VPN OR PROXY, BUT STILL I CAN'T PURCHASE ANYTHING DUE TO BANKING BLOCKADE ALSO!

SOMEBODY FROM THE UNITY STAFF EXPLAIN THIS PLEASE.

Caps Lock Off...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. iossif

iossif

Unity Technologies

345 Broadway Street, Suite 200
    San Francisco, CA 94133
    United States

looks like a us company to me according to the website.

3. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

guess i should not rely on Wikipedia anymore..

sacb0y and IllTemperedTunas like this.
  4. Zeblote

Zeblote

Didn't they block all sales to syria trying to die out that war S***?

5. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

Yes, but again , why individuals should handle the consequences? they should block sales to the Syrian government, like oil or Russian weapons import...but banning Unity sales? wtf? how is this supposed to help at ANYTHING? i just can't understand their logic...

6. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hi all,

Alas, a number of our sellers are unable, due to legal and national obligations, to sell or distribute their content to certain countries due to trade restrictions imposed by their governments. Therefore, we decided it is better to bring you their content rather than not have it at all, at the cost of IP blocking to a small handful of countries who are so blacklisted (including North Korea, Iraq, etc).

This is a standard list provided and maintained by the US government– we at Unity Technologies do not have any role in deciding which nations are blacklisted.

We do regret that it causes inconveniences to you, MHD Salka, and other folks in these countries– we all know that we share a certain kinship as creative people, programmers, artists and game developers which transcends nationality and politics. Alas, trade restrictions made by certain governments stand in the way. If you'd like to change this, perhaps you need to contact your government and let them know how you feel!

Cheers,

--
    Caitlyn Meeks-Ferragallo
    Asset Store Manager

landon912 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Talking about political things on a programming forum isn't really the done thing. I mean I understand you're upset and Unity is a global company that started in Europe. At the moment the HQ is in the US though. Best you can do is ask a friend to purchase.

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Or contact the authors directly explaining your situation.

landon912 likes this.
  9. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

The hippo nailed it.

10. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

Hi
    thanks for making things clear, i hope this ban "go away" soon
    sorry if i went politics here...you can delete the post if you want

11. K.Meier

K.Meier

Actually it's not the Syrian government that is restricting this, it's the US. The USA has an embargo with Syria since 1986, disallowing any US company to sell any products and or services to people/companies inside Syria.
    Telling him to contact his government to have this changed, will have as much effect as if you would try to contact Obama and tell the white house to lift this international crisis that has been going on for 27 years ;)

You should also know that the USA does NOT have a sanction against Iraq (anymore). The USA has currently sanctions against the following countries:
    Burma, Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria.

By blocking Iraq on purpose, you might accidentally add unnecessary oil to a political fire.

As stated above, the USA has an embargo with Syria for 27 years now, disallowing any US based company to sell products and services to Syria.

This is a perfect example of how innocent and hard working people are being affected over silly political views.

My suggestion is, that you either use a proxy/vpn or find a 3rd party that is willing to help you out purchasing digital products on the internet.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  12. cadviz

cadviz

I am resident in Iraq...

3 months ago, I was able to open the Asset Store and had downloaded some free stuff...
    Today; I couldn't open it... and got the following:

Your country is blocked due to the U.S. Government restrictions.

and since this forum is not political....I shall not say a comment..:!:

steve-thud likes this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The reason we are not political here is because I like to think as game developers, or software developers we are all intelligent enough to respect and love other human beings regardless of where they were born :)

We are bigger, better than the stupidity that rules us, and they shall not divide us.

14. cadviz

cadviz

Can anybody clarify how ...?

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

steve-thud likes this.
  16. drcool

drcool

hi all
    Iraq is not on the blacklist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FATF_blacklist

So why my country has been blocked from unity asset store?

And Does this mean that I can not get a license for unity pro

Please reply

17. chelnok

chelnok

This aint the place ask such questions with bumping and all.. Read caitlyns post again, the answer to your question is there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  18. drcool

drcool

Thanks for the reply

Another question
    Can I buy a license for unity pro after completion my project on unity free

I want to know please

Thanks

19. drcool

drcool

I need an answer please

20. Dantus

Dantus

For that kind of question, I would contact Unity directly.

21. drcool

drcool

Thanks Dantus I really want an answer

Because I want to design a beautiful anime game with unity

22. khoowaikeong

khoowaikeong

if the US doesn't want to allow their company to do business international, let them punish american businesses, the rest of the world should not have to limit their business because a certain country say no. beside the export law actually only cover very few item, you can learn from sony and apple on implement a restriction declaration for US companies instead of banning everyone. it really should be the companies responsibility to determine if what they are putting online is legal or not!

23. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Sorry I missed this thread. As we are in Europe and because as a family we are Amnesty Intl. activists, whoever need help to bypass US embargo can count on us.

alone1992 likes this.
  24. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

if anyone intersted :

"Google, Apple remove some restrictions on technology to Iran
    The move appears to be linked to the U.S decision in May to lift sanctions on the export of a variety of consumer communications devices and software and services including mobile phones to Iran"
    http://www.techhive.com/article/204...-some-restrictions-on-technology-to-iran.html
    i hope this move will be applied to other countries like syria soon :(

25. gizmit001

gizmit001

I've just installed the free version of Unity. It stated that any project created in the free version is compatible with the Pro version. I don't see any reason why you can't upgrade to the Pro and continue creating your game. I hope this helps, DrCool.

26. Mehrdad995

Mehrdad995

This is my question too.
    why commons should pay for politic problems?!
    it's really funny that even yahoo block my country , Google didn't though.
    who the heck is yahoo?!
    its not even a penny in front of google.
    (I apologize for being aggressive).
    All of my speech is that why we should pay for these? is it really fair? is it human rights? I think I'm a human. I'm not the world's enemy :cry:

27. LaneFox

LaneFox

28. komodor

komodor

unity technologies ... do you really mean that?

29. nipoco

nipoco

This post is so old...The person you've quoted doesn't even work for UT anymore.

Ryiah likes this.
  30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just wait to move out of the country and put some distance from their military before you do. :p

EternalAmbiguity and Kiwasi like this.
  31. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Well yes. Unity has absolutely zero sway with the US government. Ignoring US law is a quick way to get pushed out of the US market. And quite frankly the US market is far more valuable then the Syrian one.

Trade embargoes are put in place because one government won't bow to the will of another. Best way to get them lifted is to bow to foreign pressure. Best way to do that is to persuade your own government to cave.

An alternative is to have a product valuable enough to encourage the other side to trade. You can also launch a war to forcefully open trade. I wouldn't reccomend war with the US, that's an insane idea.

Finally you can trade with someone else. There are countries that don't support the embargo. And the internet has its fair share of pirates willing to act as blockade runners.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

old thing is old lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016
  33. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yes. But as long as Unity is beholden to US politics, its still relevant.

34. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm not sure of an answer, but I'm very glad you put it all in caps. Otherwise, you definitely wouldn't have got your point across.

SparrowGS likes this.
  35. neginfinity

neginfinity

Now, take a look at posting date.

36. alealvapan

alealvapan

Hello everyone.
    I am an independent developer from Cuba, and my question is, if there will be legal problems when selling a game from the United States made in Cuba using unity.

Does the embargo affect only the services that unity provides, or does it also affect the ownership of a program launched in unity in blocked countries, such as Iran, North Korea, or in my case, Cuba?

this worries me deeply. thanks in advance to whoever can help me.

37. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity doesn't have much to do with whether you can sell your game in the United States. This thread is really about export limitations, not imports. (Asset Store website primarily exports)

But on your question, US regulations allow for importation of anything not on a specific banned list (software doesn't appear to be on that list), so long as the product comes from an "independent Cuban entrepreneur in Cuba". The problem is, there are specific verification requirements that you aren't otherwise connected to the Cuban government, and record keeping requirements for all transactions.

With those requirements, you might have trouble finding US companies that are either willing to, or are even aware of the process. You might get better information contacting major US software platforms, or checking their websites, such as Steam, Apple App Store, or Google Play Store. They are the ones you'd need to convince, but the bigger the store the more likely they are aware of this. They may even already have a process in place.

Here's some more information:

The State Department's Section 515.582 List - United States Department of State
    Cuba Sanctions - United States Department of State

I Am Not A Lawyer, so don't believe anything I say

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  38. Ryiah

Ryiah

I highly recommend you reach out to the stores you intend to sell your games through.

39. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Please try to avoid necroposting.

40. Ryiah

Ryiah

41. KmUnity3d

KmUnity3d

I am talking from 2022 : THE WAR IS STILL ON...Well Done USA

xjjon likes this.
  42. JediNizar

JediNizar

@MHD Salka: with all due respect. your nation is on fire. Most people have been, killed, impersonated, fled the country, or live in a way no human should live.
    Only the elite still live a "normal" life and with internet?? I presume Damascus?
    Only one side of the people has this privilege, Assad the Rat Teams.

Sorry for your lack of purchasing in unity Assetstore, while other people from your country don't even have electricity and are facing death daily.

43. spiney199

spiney199

Good job responding to someone who hasn't been on the site since 2016. You look so cool.

44. ippdev

ippdev

Maybe Balfouristan should stop bombing them under false pretenses. Yer an arrogant little SOB.

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The thread is locked.

Fair warning: It does not matter what country you're from, forum rules indicate no political content. There are no exceptions, regardless of circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.