Search Unity

Who the heck do you even get the unity editor to not disappear after downloading?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by taggartbostian, Nov 9, 2019.

1. taggartbostian

taggartbostian

I've read tutorial after tutorial on how and also watched how to get unity to be up and running, I've read from the website but every single time I get the editor to finally download it just disappears, I also tried the archives and when it downloaded on the hub it disappears which is problimatic, that I can't even get to development yet without a stupid error message, the editor every time it finally downloads just disappears, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Fireblare0628 likes this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Try posting the actual stupid error message. It's trying to tell you something. Solve the problem that it's telling you about, and you should be all set.

And when you post the error, be sure to also mention what platform (and version of that platform) you're running. And define what you mean by "disappears" — it shouldn't matter where each Unity app is stored, if you're going to launch it through Hub anyway.

3. taggartbostian

taggartbostian

The platform is mac my version is unity hub 2.1.3, Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 1.22.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 1.23.23 PM.png AFTER DOWNLOAD.
    I can't really show it without video but basically I download a unity editor on installs then I wait for it to load and we all know that if its not fully loaded yet you can't make a new project but the problem is when its downloaded it stays on screen but if I come back after going to another page on hub after its downloaded its not there.

Attached Files:

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hmm, OK, that's helpful. For what it's worth, I use a Mac too, but I haven't run into this problem.

Unity Hub on Mac normally stores the Unity editors it downloads here:

upload_2019-11-9_21-56-4.png
    So you could look there to see if it's managed to download anything. Sounds like it's failing for some reason, though.

The alternative is to just download it yourself. They're a bit hidden, but you can find individual downloads for various versions here. Just click on "Downloads (Mac)" next to the latest version, and select "Editor" from the drop-down.

Once you've got it downloaded, you can go back to Hub and use the Locate button to tell Hub about it.

5. taggartbostian

taggartbostian

still didn't find the folder

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Who/what didn't find the folder? You're not able to see where Unity.exe was installed? Then you would use Locate to go select it. On Windows is typically under C:\Program Files\Unity

7. Fireblare0628

Fireblare0628

OMG I have the same exact problem on my mac. How do you relocate where to install it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't know how you choose where to install the hub itself, but you can choose the directory for the editors by clicking on the little gear symbol, and from there clicking on the three dots next to "Unity Editors Path". Once you've selected your folder just click Save and you can go back by clicking the arrow pointing left.

JoeStrout likes this.