Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

who knows which vr device support daydream,huawei or xiaomi?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by wangshibowyl, Sep 23, 2016.

1. wangshibowyl

wangshibowyl

who knows which vr device support daydream,huawei or xiaomi?

2. Selzier

Selzier

3. Shengjie_Zhang

Shengjie_Zhang

ONLY Nexus 6P phone running Android N

4. TheFuntastic

TheFuntastic

NB the Nexus 6P is only a devkit device (if you're planning on investing in hardware). No official daydream phones are out yet.

5. skinwalker

skinwalker

Only Nexus 6P Really ? I thought I can test it on my Nexus 5X, so are they going to support more devices in the future or we have to upgrade and get new phones ?

6. 00christian00

00christian00

The situation is a little lame at the moment. There are some phone coming out soon but so far the only officially supported is the Nexus 6P. The fun thing is that they say it's the dev kit but at the same time say it's not a certified daydream device and so outside development purpose the 6P won't get an official release of Daydream for consumer users. For that you will have to wait for the first devices certified from Huawei and can't remember who else.
    So kinda lame as of now, I would have preferred they integrated it in all Android 7.0 devices regardless of certification.

Anybody know if the daydream support is integrated on Android 7.0 source or a separated middleware, like Google Play? This is not clear yet.

EDIT
    To answer myself, it's a separate service "Google VR Services", so daydream apps will run only on certified devices, unless you use an unofficial firmware with the services integrated.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  7. skinwalker

skinwalker

So they won't support DayDream on our devices and we have to buy new hardware ?

8. jldevoy

jldevoy

The ZTE Axon7 will support it, but it doesn't have the nougat update yet. The new pixel phones will probably be first out with the android 7.1 it needs. There have been reports some 1920x1080 phones will be certified for daydream so some older ones might might get certified later as long as they have sd820 or better cpus..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. wojwen

wojwen

Probably no currently existing phones (despite axon and some recently released phones) will be daydream ready, because they need low persistence display and better sensors, not only high performance cpus

10. Tuitive

Tuitive

I hope the dev kit setup (Nexus 6P + another "controller" phone) is just to offer a taste of what Daydream will be like, because what I've experienced so far is fun, but not awesome. My 6P gets hot and throttles the GPU after 5 minutes (so frame rates drops significantly) and my controller phone (Galaxy S6) orientation drifts off center constantly. Here's to hoping official Daydream hardware is way, way better...

11. Anjin_nz

Anjin_nz

Our view is that Daydream will be high end new phones and that Cardboard will be for the current devices. I think the other important question is around the controller itself. From what we know it seems a little limited for intensive games. Hopefully there will be support for gamepads as well but we understand if the focus is more like a Wii ATM.

12. eklenr

eklenr

yeap! Interesting topic!

13. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

So, now is Pixel.

14. jldevoy

jldevoy

Google have allowed ZTE to say the Axon7 will support daydreamvr for more than 5 months, if it doesn't there will be a lot of angry people.