Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Who is the new 'Unity Asset Manager' for and what purpose does it solve?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Noisecrime, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

So I noticed that subscriptions come with a new service that i'd not heard about called 'Unity Asset Manager'. There aren't ( or weren't) even any links to say what it was so I had to google and the only thing I found was documentation for the beta that you have to request to join.

Having watched the video I can see its an asset management tool, but I'm really struggling to see the point of it, especially when targeted at Personal, and even Pro accounts. Beyond that it appears to be a hard sell as existing companies likely have their own asset management tools assuming they need them.

In general I sort of feel that Unity projects are their own asset management and while maybe storing all the assets you company owns in a single place is nice, the amounts you are given in Personal and even Pro are likely insufficient. I mean my own 'Asset Store' collection is over 70GB and that doesn't include 100GB's of assets from other sources i've collected over the years.

I guess i'm failing to see how this can be considered an upsell or bonus for any level of subscription when its clearly presented as such and i'm even doubtful there is any point to it at all.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's kinda like how Unity also offers their own version control system despite existing companies having their own tools for that as well.

Ryiah, Lurking-Ninja and Noisecrime like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm thinking that it was a hackweek project similar to the original VSCode extension asset. Someone had the idea of an asset manager and it was created in a short time period and now they're trying to pass it off as an actual tool.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    PanthenEye, DrMeatball and AcidArrow like this.
  4. Nintynstor

Nintynstor

For some users, especially those new to Unity or with smaller asset collections, it could be handy. But it does seem like more of a niche offering, and Unity might need to consider expanding its appeal to make it more attractive across the board. Sometimes, features like these might find their sweet spot with specific user groups. ‍♂️