Search Unity

Who do you think "won" E3 so far (poll)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not_Sure, Jun 11, 2014.

?

Who won E3?

1. Sony

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Microsoft

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Nintendo

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Yeah, I know, but it's gossip and it is something to talk about.

My vote is on Nintendo. Their direct video made sure to eliminate technical issues and was the best delivery, imo. That and they also have way more games that I want than Sony or MS.

You?

peterdeghaim likes this.
  2. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

Its subjective, but Sony has more games that I "might" play.
    The Nintendo ship has sailed as far as I'm concerned. Unless of course, you just want the many different versions of Mario and Zelda.
    Although I believe they can succeed with their mobile platform.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  3. Ocid

Ocid

None of the above. I'd rather pick individual games.

4. davidwa

davidwa

Ubisoft. Seriously, Rainbow Six will be awesome.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I believe the games won, and what they won for, depends on the individual. I don't see why this topic is important when any dedicated gamer will have all 3 consoles ;)

quantumsheep likes this.
  6. RichardKain

RichardKain

I'm tempted to give it to Sony, but honestly, it was a bit of a wash.

All the major press conferences were decent this year, and they all had their strengths as well as their weaknesses.

Microsoft's event was well paced and engaging, but it was lean on content for this year, and relied a bit too heavily on pre-rendered cinematics.

I don't care about EA at all. They are the losers of E3 by default.

Ubisoft's event was solid. I wasn't quite as interested in most of the games they were showing, on account of most of them being the usual suspects. But they did have that interesting Rainbow Six reveal at the end. And while their presentation wasn't as bombastic as Microsoft's they had Aisha Tyler as a presenter. She was easily the best presenter this year. (she usually is)

Sony's event was, as usual, a very poorly paced affair. On the other hand, they actually started on time this year. The content they had to show pleased me immensely. They seem to have been presenting more and more interesting, experimental projects over the past few years. Not all of them hit, but it's nice to see them trying. Sony definitely seemed to be demonstrating the best third-party support for the PS4.

Nintendo was a bit of a cheat. The pacing of their broadcast was flawless. But it was all pre-recorded and edited. They weren't taking the same kind of risk that all the live conferences took. I love Robot Chicken, so seeing them get hired to produce the interludes was nifty. And I am a long-time Nintendo fan, so the content of the broadcast in general appealed to me. Nothing jaw-dropping or groundbreaking, but it was reassuring knowing that Nintendo is still intending to support the Wii U.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sony's awesome. They believe 100% in Simian Squared and to find someone who believes in what you do, and see where you're going, is rare. It's not all corp.

8. Arowx

Arowx

What about the Engines used?

9. minionnz

minionnz

No Man's Sky won :)

10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well I am going to go with sony because they are supporting Devolver Digital the guys behind hotline miami, and they are supposedly publishing some other kick ass indies.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Devolver are a publisher, not developer this time round, for most of the lineup.

12. GMM

GMM

Gamers won E3, no single developer or publisher should be seen as a winner here.

Both Microsoft and Sony showed incredible Indie support across the board, extremely good software coming from people all over the development scene. Everything looked great this year, a lot of games i wanted to play, but unfortunately most of this is way into 2015.

13. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

The gamers won, I think this E3 showed enough to please most gamers.

I got half of my list shown: Zelda, Batman, Tomb Raider and Mario Party 10.
    I still hope I get something for rest of the list: Rime, Fallout4 and Last Guardian. fingers crossed.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  14. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I would have to agree with this - We do not make games for ourselves but for others to enjoy :)

15. chrisall76

chrisall76

But most of the direct wasn't even Mario/Zelda. We had like 2 Mario games (one not even focused on Mario), and 2 Zelda games (one which we knew about). The rest where new IPs (Splatoon, project S.T.E.A.M, Devil's Third, the 2 test games without names), and then new games (Bayonetta, Star Fox, Fantasy Life, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.). Sure they have Mario and Zelda, doesn't mean that's the only thing they'll announce.

But yea, even though I liked Nintendo the most out of the three (since the rest showed most Cg trailers), I say no one really wins. It's just a event for the gamers. Already know this thread has the chance to spark a flame war once I saw the title.

16. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I never understood the "Just another Mario game" sentiment that Nintendo gets. Like Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Super Mario Brothers, and Mario 64 are all the exact same game or something? Seems a little willfully ignorant.

Sorry, that's a little bit of conjecture (not saying that's what anyone here is saying) but it always seems to be the #1 criticism against Nintendo.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

+1

Really excited for that game. Even if it has no gameplay whatsoever and just lets me explore different worlds and walk around in them

18. Ness

Ness

Witcher 3 won ;)

19. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

No-one won this year.

I didn't feel any of the console manufactures provided anything special, though they didn't fall on their asses either which is a step up from last year. In terms of whose was the best event I'd guess I'd have to go with Ubisoft.

I would be tempted to agree that games won, but honestly I just don't trust what they show these days. Far too much obvious pre-rendered cgi, others clearly aren't going to maintain the quality once they reach the consoles and some I couldn't decide if it was actual in-game verses pre-rendered or in-engine footage.

For example The Division looks very interesting, but its clear the 'game play' shown is heavily produced. It is obvious from the canned voice chat being used, which in turn and based on previous game reveals makes me question exactly what level of quality in both graphics and game play we will see on release.

On top of that most interesting games are being pushed back to 2015 or later, and some weren't mentioned at all so might never appear (The Last Guardian). Quite fed up of big reveals of games that have no chance of being released for 2-3 or more years later, just don't see the point.

Really the only game to pique my interest was No Man's Sky, though that had been revealed last year and afaik there is no release date.

Ultimately there was nothing to really inspire me to get a new generation console and just a handful of games I have any real interest in. Getting to a point where I question the relevance of E3.

20. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

When I made that statement, I meant that you are almost guaranteed another iteration of Mario or a Zelda game. Nothing wrong with that, if that floats your boat.

I, for one, wouldn't mind playing games based on the Fallout universe until I die.

21. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

But are they not? I don't see how that is ignorant. See my post above.

22. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

No, they aren't. SMB set the tone for modern platformers, SMB2 was all about using the pick up mechanic, SMB3 introduced the world map and banked items, SMW refined SMB3 while cramming it full of new mechanics, SMW2 (Yoshi's Island) had completely different mechanics from SMW1, M64 set the standard for 3d platformers, Sunshine had the water mechanics, Galaxy added the gravity mechanics (to my vertigo's dismay), I'll give you Galaxy 2, but NSMB still added new mechanics each time. Then party, kart, rpg, and paper were all their own animal.

Just because they kept the mascott does not mean it's the same game.

Where as all shooters barely change a thing outside of the story but are somehow better.

That's just crass.

23. Frpmta

Frpmta

Not Unity.

:(

[I guess big studios have better tools. I am just surprised at that considering Unity is 200+ people dedicated to a single engine, while they all have at most 10 [iCE Team] dedicated to the engine, 40 at most in the big ones [Frostbite].]

24. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

Hmmm...I guess.

To you, they're different. To me, its the same game that I have been playing since Super Mario Bros, with new mechanics as you pointed out. Not enough to differentiate it from one another, to me.

But hey, keep playing them if you like them.

25. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Sorry, that was smug and uncalled for.

26. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

nope. PC only. I hate consoles. :)

27. endorfinnRyder

endorfinnRyder

Destiny looks like fun!

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Then you miss out on platform exclusives..

29. BTStone

BTStone

I can't understand how, especially as a dev, one can "hate" a plattform. It's about the games. Love those, not the machines their running on...

30. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I never got the PC vs Console thing. They are both their own unique experience to me.

I love playing 3d and first person games on my couch with my girl, and I love strategy and RPG's on my PC.

I can't stand it the other way around though because action games are hacked to death online with PC's and the keyboard and mouse makes it too easy. While strategy games on a console (with the exception of Xcom) have terrible controls and online service.

31. XaneFeather

XaneFeather

Nintendo blew it away for me. Almost no game I wouldn't play. Especially looking forward to the new Smash Brothers.
    Splatoon looks very fun and unique! Nintendo's creativity is unmatched.

32. QA-for-life

QA-for-life

Unity Technologies

33. Ocid

Ocid

For me first/third person games are utterly terrible with a controller. Games ain't hacked to death on the pc and if m&k made it so easy the hackers wouldn't be such a problem.

34. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

I only watched the Nintendo stuff. Zelda looks amazing. It will be nice to just have a world you can explore and literally do anything you want, much like the very first Zelda. Mario Maker looks like a ton of fun too. I still can't wait for Bayonetta 2. Yoshis Wooly World looks kind of neat. Splatoon is pretty cool and its nice to see an actual shooter from Nintendo, sure it won't win over any of the war machine obsessed gamers, but its definitely unique.

I think the best part though was watching the live stream of the Nintendo Treehouse where the developers sat down and played and talked about the games. Was very inspiring to me.

35. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

At the risk of further pegging myself as a fan boy I completely agree with you.

I am, however, skeptical of Maker. They need to make something better than the tons of hacks like it already out there. And they need a solid social network to share the levels. Making it so you can play the levels without the game would be a great forst step.

36. thxfoo

thxfoo

For me too. Watched the E3 sword of destiny trailer like 10 times already:

This fox engine looks very impressive...