Search Unity

Who bears the cost of subscription when the game is for a client?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LilGames, May 11, 2017.

1. LilGames

LilGames

I freelance and create games for clients. The client never needs to download and install Unity; they only care about the final application. So I am wondering how this affects the subscriptions.

Let's say I am making less than $100k. I do a project for a client and hand them a finished product. I assume how much the client makes is irrelevant.

Now let's say I make a game but this time it uses analytics and multiplayer networking. Again, the client doesn't care about anything but the final product. I am still making less than $100k but what if their game is popular and has 200 or more concurrent players? Now it is "Pro" level, but this client is not a Unity subscriber and the game is not mine. What happens?

And what if the game launches, has 200 CCU, then drops to 50 CCU. Is the subscriber on the hook for Pro level subscription because of the initial launch numbers? How does this all work?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

For starters that number of CCUs specified is intended for development. Once you launch the product someone will have to pay for the actual bandwidth used if they stick with the Unity matchmaking and relay servers. If they decide to use their own solution or use Steam they won't have to pay Unity. Either way the CCU limit ceases to exist when you launch.

3. LilGames

LilGames

OK I understand there is the $/GB fee, but will the client need a Pro license too?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't remember and I can't find the thread where it's been discussed before. Someone like @BoredMormon would likely know the answer (or the appropriate thread) better than me.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The included CCU is only ever intended for testing. Once you launch the game, I'd expect you to pay seperately for your networking.

As I understand this, the client will never need a Unity lisence. But they might insist you remove the splash screen, which will mean at least plus.