Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro White squares on game start

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Hellfim, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hellfim

Hellfim

Hello, We are experiencing following problem: if game starts on iPhone 7/XR in landscape mode several Chinese characters are drawn as white squares. Sometimes instead of characters several in-game sprites are displayed black.

Strangely this doesn't happen on other iPhone/Android devices (at least once we've checked).

For the Chinese language we have several pages of symbols, so I suspect that some of them are not being loaded properly thus resulting in white squares.

Currently we are using Unity 5.6.5p4 and TMP 5.6-1.0.56

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this behaviour?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

White square is typically a missing atlas texture or the Z scale of the objects being left at zero when it should be uniform.

3. Hellfim

Hellfim

Yeah, I've read that in other similar threads. It's definitely not a Z-scale proble, but rather missing atlas.

Another strange thing is that our problem only happens if game is launched in landscape mode on iPhone 7/XR.

Is there any way to detect and reload missing textures?

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Is the Font Asset / material / texture used by these objects contains in asset bundles or anything special?

I suspect that if you were to check if the texture was correctly assigned, that it would come up fine as the issue is likely on the Graphic side where the internal reference / ID of the the texture is lost by Unity where from the perspective of TMP everything is fine.

I remember issues like that in Unity. I would scan for texture issues related to changing texture settings, going to full screen mode, etc.

To isolate the issue, I would suggest creating a simple repro of just a text object to see if this happens in a simple scene or requires a more complex setup. This might enable you to identify some potential timing issue that could lead to the issue where you might be able to get around it. If it is related to the Rotation, this should happen with just a single text object.

5. ella466

ella466

How to detect and reload missing textures in a Unity game that only crashes in landscape mode on iPhone 7/XR?
    I would be very happy if you could let me know, thanks. I know this is an old discussion but the answer to my question is very important I am appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks