Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

white spots in background!

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by R_Sanchez101, Jun 2, 2021.

1. R_Sanchez101

R_Sanchez101

F0B97678-2816-4008-A5E3-6BB112DA75DA.jpeg Hello!

as the title suggests, I'm having issues with these white spots that go away when I get close to them?
    I'm just wondering if any of you have had the same or similar issue?

it should be pitch black as there is no light at all, besides my flashlight.

my apologies if this is not the right place for my

question! I am very much still learning and cant seem to find a solution to this!

thanks in advance!

EDIT: I tried to screenshot on my pc however the issue itself wasn’t really showing correctly, sorry for the quality but I had to take a picture off my phone. The issue is that white spots in the background, as you can see in the red circle. They light up without my flashlight pointing directly at it. I’m just wondering if anyone has had this before?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! It is borderline impossible to make out what is going on in that image - it's too dark. Could you upload a new image, and/or a video which shows the issue in action?

Also, how is your scene set up? We'd need more details in order to help you out.

3. R_Sanchez101

R_Sanchez101

Hello, I’ve provided some extra photos but the issue itself wasn’t apparent with a pc screenshot, I went ahead and took a photo on my phone. There isn’t any other light source, just my flashlight.

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

What are those objects, exactly? Are those decals/transparent planes which you've placed on the terrain? Or is it something else?

If I were to guess, the issue might be one of the following:
    • Those are non-static objects which are picking up the ambient probe.
    • Your ambient color is too bright (verify this in the Lighting window).
    • There are no light probes in the scene.
    • An issue with the material applied to those objects.
    The easiest solution would be to place some light probes in the scene, and rebake. Alternatively, mark those objects as GI contributors, and rebake. This of course assumes that you are using baked lighting in your scene.

Since you've stated that you are still learning, I would strongly suggest watching the following videos which cover lightmapping process in greater detail:

5. R_Sanchez101

R_Sanchez101

thanks ill check those videos out!

I just realized that the issue is the textures I painted on the terrain, however I'm still now sure why its lighting up, ive checked my lighting settings and there is not any ambient color on. ill try the other things while I'm at it ! thanks for responding!
    please let me know what else you would like me to send over, as I've said before I am a noob when it comes to stuff like this.

Attached Files:

6. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

In that case, it might be a material-related issue. Check that it is using the same shader as your other materials in the scene. Perhaps you've assigned an unlit shader to it? Also, check whether or not emissive input is enabled. That could be a reason why your material looks like it is self-illuminated.

7. R_Sanchez101

R_Sanchez101

well, I’ve gone ahead and did a little more digging into this.

I’m not sure if this is a unity bug? But i can’t seem to find the root cause of this issue, whenever I’m in the scene view and zoom out, the apparent “grey” or “white” lines that I’ve been having a issue with are apparent on my textures now I made a whole new terrain and I painted on it with different textures and at first glance there isn’t any issues but I zoom back out and there it is again, however when I zoom back into my scene they are gone, now when I go to the play mode they show up again, and I’ve checked the shader issue and it isn’t a unlit shader so, it seems I’m left in the dust. :/

8. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Which shader are you using if not an unlit one? Just standard shader?

If you were able to reproduce this with a completely new terrain I'd suggest zipping up a repro project with said problematic terrain and filing a bug report.