Search Unity

Bug White sparks on the floor when moving the camera

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by BloodAlibi, Aug 10, 2022.

1. BloodAlibi

BloodAlibi

Hello,

I have installed the Unity HD Render Pipeline a month ago and noticed an annoying point I can't fix.

There are multiple "sparks", small or big, appearing randomly on the floor (only the floor), mostly when I move my character (walk). They seem to only appear when I have my flashlight on, but that is only my impression.
    I did not find any topic talking about it, since it might be the most stupid question of that forum. Still I did not find a way to fix it. I tried to modify each parameter, override, even objects or lights, but nothing changed.

Please find below a picture and a video of the issue.

Thank you.

2. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, first try to disable Bloom (via a volume override). See if this reduces the effect. If it does, it means it's coming from a very bright popping pixel: maybe a bad normal map, maybe a lack of vertex welding (and you're seeing the sky through the gap), maybe you're far from the origin (or have odd near/far plane settings on the camera), maybe there an issue with leaking sunlight (I've seen this particular issue with raytracing), etc.

It seems they only occur near the "connector frames" in your scene, so maybe you use a modular set that has some precision issues. For instance you could add some exterior "lips" to block the light, or create a proxy around your whole scene to block unwanted light).

Just suppositions though.

3. BloodAlibi

BloodAlibi

I disabled the bloom effect and it, indeed, reduced the effect.
    I also changed the floor material and the sparks disappeared. Do you think the material itself (or one of its components (normal map, or else) is the source of the problem?

4. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, it looks like it could be an asset problem on your end then. You can use Window > Analysis > Rendering debugger to find out what's causing it.

First under Lighting, you can override different material properties like albedo, metalness, normals, specular, etc.

Eventually you'll find out which one causes the problem. And then you can try different maps (and different import/export settings).

5. BloodAlibi

BloodAlibi

Thank you for your reply.
    I reduced a lot the Smoothness Remapping value after trying to change the maps one by one of the material, and the sparks disappeared.
    But I think I will use the Rendering debugger in the future if similar issues come, or even if this one isn't actually fixed and that I have just done a "simple hack" that will break in a few days.