Search Unity

Which Versions should we be using if we want to use the Facebook API

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Urbanwarfare-Std, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Urbanwarfare-Std

Urbanwarfare-Std

Hello Everybody,

I recently followed the Space Shooter Tutorial - now rather stupidly I initially decided to use the 2017 beta version of Unity but obviously didn't realise that the tutorial was based on 4/came with upgrade PDF's for Unity 5.

Now I got this far by following some 3rd party tutorials for the Facebook API - which again had tutorials for 4/5.

Now this thread isn't about my game but is there a page anywhere aimed at developers working specifically with Facebook & Unity which stipulates which versions of Unity3D, the Facebook API and Javascript DK you should be using for the best results/fewest issues because I have seen quite a few problems along the way.

I actually found it easiest to code it in 4, upgrade automatically into 5 and then introduce the Facebook API - but of course there might have been a better way. the Facebook SDK seems to have stopped my ability to generate a mobile version as it errors when trying to generate it.

I am relatively new to this and I thought this discussion might help more folks on this path.

Does 2017.1 or 2017.2 work properly with the API or is it still buggy? Who in this instance would be responsible for telling us? Facebook or Unity3D? There also doesn't seem to be any official Unity Tutorials on using the Facebook SDK - which seems odd to me?

Ultimately if someone can say with some certainty you should be using version X for Unity with version Y of the Facebook API and version Z for the Javascript API and you can work with Facebook and mobile without too many issues (but these features won't work on Facebook/Mobile) I think that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Simon