Search Unity

Which version of Unity is more suitable for a pure 2D mobile game for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Dragonrider-Liu, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Dragonrider-Liu

Dragonrider-Liu

Hello there.

I was fond of a game in wp7, but it is limited to wp and it seems that the developer stop further development. So I was interested in migrating it to android (or maybe iOS too) myself. Maybe I will add something original into it, and I hope it can be extendable, but it will be pure 2D.

Myself: my major is biology, with very very limited ability of scripting (of course I will keep learning). The most complex thing I have done is a basic bubble sorting which I almost forgot how to do it.

The tutorial videos of 2D development seems all based on 5.x, thus it should be easier to learn to use the 5.x, right? Or they also apply to 2017.x in most part? Meanwhile, the 2017.x seems to contain some new features for the 2D development, I can't evaluate the importance of them.

Could you analyze the advantages and disadvantages of different versions, according to the difficulty for learning, the functionality, the performance of the product?

Your suggestion would be valuable for me. Thanks for your answers in advance.
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/1441163/which-version-of-unity-is-more-suitable-for-a-pure.html

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Always use the latest version. Going to an older version of a tool, just because that's what the tutorials used, is a route to sadness and gnashing of teeth.

Functionality and performance of newer versions of Unity is always (to a first approximation) equal to or better than the functionality and performance of older versions. You will have to make some minor adjustments when looking at older training materials, but that's trivial compared to the thinking you'll have to do when you actually create your own game. Consider it training — and post here when you get stuck.

3. Dragonrider-Liu

Dragonrider-Liu

Thank you for your reply, it really helped me to make the decision.

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. verybinary

verybinary

From what I can tell, the 2017 version of Unity has way too many problems to be easy for a beginner. I haven't left the last stable update of 5(5.4.6 I think?) because I see all these problems and complaints on the forum that I don't have on my stable version.
    This lesson came way before Unity, but I learned that the latest is not always the best. Updates are not always for the consumer.
    I just tend to prefer stable.

Dragonrider-Liu likes this.
  5. verybinary

verybinary

That being said, I'll be transitioning to the latest update today. I'm trying out a new "current and stable enough" outlook.