Search Unity

Question Which URP platforms does Visual Effect Graph support?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by ironfairy, Mar 8, 2022.

1. ironfairy

ironfairy

In the documentation they state:

The Visual Effect Graph supports the Universal Render Pipeline (URP) from Unity 2019.3. However, it is not yet out of preview for URP, which means it only supports a subset of platforms that URP supports. It also does not support every feature that it does with HDRP, and also only supports unlit particles.
    Should I expect this subset to include all major current gen consoles? I'm beginning development on a game using URP and want to invest some time learning VFX graph and making most of my particle systems with it, but if it's not supported on consoles then that's a bit of a dealbreaker. I couldn't find more detailed information about which platforms are supported or not.

Related to that, I also couldn't find it in the docs, is there a reference of all URP unsupported features too?

Thanks for the help

jrouxel likes this.
  2. Qriva

Qriva

This question comes so often... I think documentation need some improvements to make it less confusing.

In very short URP is meant to work on all not ancient devices, and this means all their packages should work too in theory. The problem is that VFX graph requires compute shader feature and thus breaks the compatibility principle.
    For example mobile devices are supported by URP, but at the same time they often do not support VFX graph and only very modern devices can be considered safe to work with. Anyway you can look at that this way - if HDRP supports some device, then URP should too.
    Official support for high-end mobiles is on the way.

ironfairy and VladVNeykov like this.
  3. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Yup, what @Qriva said!
    The disclaimer about subset of URP platforms is mainly for targets like mobile devices, XR, or WebGL. I'm not aware of any console-specific blocking issues and any potential issues would be regular bugs we'll work on fixing as opposed as something incompatible.

Rallix and ironfairy like this.
  4. ironfairy

ironfairy

Thank you both for the response!

VladVNeykov likes this.
  5. Rallix

Rallix

Thanks for the clarification.
    Although the wording suggests the plan is to eventually support every platform that URP, including WebGL etc. supports (albeit with fewer features). Is this correct, or will compute shader support always be the requirement for VFX Graph (and it's more about preparing e.g. for WebGPU)?

6. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi! Sorry for the delayed reply.
    We will be bound by the compute capability requirement for a while, but there's a task on our public roadmap for CPU simulation, which should technically unlock most/all URP-supported devices, WebGL, etc. (though possibly with some caveats here and there depending on the target platform/device) I think for now other tasks have been upvoted higher and are more of a development focus.

Thaina, JotaRata and Rallix like this.
  7. Thaina

Thaina

Are there any progress about this? I wish we could use VFX graph everywhere for creating VFX that can be maintainable by artist

Actually we should have default VFX system as compiled Burst from the start and compute shader as further optimized