Search Unity

Which (temp?) folder Unity Hub downloads the install files on Mac?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by DeepShader, Aug 3, 2018.

1. DeepShader

DeepShader

Hi there,
    in which (temp?) folder Unity Hub downloads the install files on Mac?

Thank you :)

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

I believe it varies from machine to machine, and the hub will remove it afterward.

3. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, my connection broke down while the Hub downloaded and I just want to check the folder, if there's some junk from the broken download ^_^'

4. Foriero

Foriero

Dear Unity, this temp download directory is a bit nightmare. Just finished download xGB and the same my connection went down during the process. But Unity Hub simple told me all is corrupted redownload again. CAN WE HAVE DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY OPTION as I asked several times in other threads? First it is useful for network setups where company downloads just once and distribute to the team over internal network. Second whatever we download via Unity Hub we have in our hands and unity does not need to delete temp downloaded things.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. CUSTOM DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY WHERE YOU MAKE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE THE SAME AS YOU HAVE IT FOR CUSTOM INSTALLATION DIRECTORY ACCORDING TO UNITY VERSION.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. WHY WE HAVE TO ASK FOR OBVIOUS AND SIMPLE THINGS SO HARD AND GET THEM IN SO LONG?

Marek.

EmeraldThunder likes this.
  5. DeepShader

DeepShader

6. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    you can find the current tmp dir, by going in your terminal and writing the following command:
    open $TMPDIR

The folder changes from computer to computer, but looks something like:
    /private/var/folders/mm/{very-long-gibberish}/T/

When the Hub downloads a file, it will create a folder in the temp folder, named:
    /unityhub-{another-long-gibberish}/

7. Foriero

Foriero

Yes that is nice but can we have custom download path in option for example /Volumes/MyDisk/UnityDownloads

And in there UnityHub creates for example /Volumes/MyDisk/UnityDownload/2018.2.1f or 2018.2.2f1 the same way as you do with installed ones???

That way we don't loose the downloads every time we download new version and therefore we can put this custom download path to our company NAS and people can install it from there.

Is it really so hard to allow us custom download path and create respective unity version directories????

Thank you for understanding, Marek.

WolveX likes this.
  8. Foriero

Foriero

This temp folder is really black box nightmare. And personally it is slowing us down substantially which goes against why UnityHub was created.

9. Foriero

Foriero

Sorry to say it so bluntly :

BUT I DON'T WANT UNITYHUB IS DELETING GIGABYTES OF DOWNLOADED DATA

DOES IT MAKE SENSE? SINCE FOR ME IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE THAT YOU DELETE DOWNLOADED GIGABYTES. YOU SIMPLY WASTE OUR INTERNET BANDWIDTH ESPECIALLY WHEN UNITYHUB IS SO UNRELIABLE IN REDOWNLOADING VERSION THAT ONCE HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED.

10. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

@Foriero

Separating the download and install phases is in our plan. That said, we are going to give the control to the user to choose the download location and keep it if he/she wants.

I agree the current behavior of the hub is not desirable and we are working on that.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Prodigga likes this.
  11. DeepShader

DeepShader

Yes.. that works.. is it correct that the folder is filled with the last downloads after install?

12. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

@DeepShader If all goes well, that TMP folder containing the downloads gets deleted.

13. AsmaaQ

AsmaaQ

14. alexejheroytb

alexejheroytb

15. Kjaka

Kjaka

Still erases the downloaded file for an unreasonable reason like "Install destination invalid". I am sorry but this is the worst structure i have ever seen. I had to download the same version 6 times ! If there is an error on installing, why cancel the download !!! That is totally irrelevant! The idea of Unity hub is beautiful. But please correct this.

16. PearShape

PearShape

It would also be great if we could pause and resume the download got to 98% and windows restarted doh!
    Hopefully this time it'll finish...

17. hearstzhang

hearstzhang

Hey, when downloading complete, the mac will show you a tip "Unity Hub wants to make changes" and ask for your password (Windows will do the same by UAC too), when you see the tip, it means download complete, just copy anything out of the temp folder, then continue installation progress.