Search Unity

Which (temp?) folder Unity Hub downloads the install files on Mac?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by DeepShader, Aug 3, 2018.

1. DeepShader

DeepShader

Hi there,
    in which (temp?) folder Unity Hub downloads the install files on Mac?

Thank you :)

IbrahimRashwan likes this.
  2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

I believe it varies from machine to machine, and the hub will remove it afterward.

SajadA likes this.
  3. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, my connection broke down while the Hub downloaded and I just want to check the folder, if there's some junk from the broken download ^_^'

IbrahimRashwan likes this.
  4. Foriero

Foriero

Dear Unity, this temp download directory is a bit nightmare. Just finished download xGB and the same my connection went down during the process. But Unity Hub simple told me all is corrupted redownload again. CAN WE HAVE DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY OPTION as I asked several times in other threads? First it is useful for network setups where company downloads just once and distribute to the team over internal network. Second whatever we download via Unity Hub we have in our hands and unity does not need to delete temp downloaded things.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. CUSTOM DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY WHERE YOU MAKE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE THE SAME AS YOU HAVE IT FOR CUSTOM INSTALLATION DIRECTORY ACCORDING TO UNITY VERSION.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. WHY WE HAVE TO ASK FOR OBVIOUS AND SIMPLE THINGS SO HARD AND GET THEM IN SO LONG?

Marek.

5. DeepShader

DeepShader

6. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    you can find the current tmp dir, by going in your terminal and writing the following command:
    open $TMPDIR

The folder changes from computer to computer, but looks something like:
    /private/var/folders/mm/{very-long-gibberish}/T/

When the Hub downloads a file, it will create a folder in the temp folder, named:
    /unityhub-{another-long-gibberish}/

sasyda, xaldin-76 and efojs like this.
  7. Foriero

Foriero

Yes that is nice but can we have custom download path in option for example /Volumes/MyDisk/UnityDownloads

And in there UnityHub creates for example /Volumes/MyDisk/UnityDownload/2018.2.1f or 2018.2.2f1 the same way as you do with installed ones???

That way we don't loose the downloads every time we download new version and therefore we can put this custom download path to our company NAS and people can install it from there.

Is it really so hard to allow us custom download path and create respective unity version directories????

Thank you for understanding, Marek.

WolveX likes this.
  8. Foriero

Foriero

This temp folder is really black box nightmare. And personally it is slowing us down substantially which goes against why UnityHub was created.

9. Foriero

Foriero

Sorry to say it so bluntly :

BUT I DON'T WANT UNITYHUB IS DELETING GIGABYTES OF DOWNLOADED DATA

DOES IT MAKE SENSE? SINCE FOR ME IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE THAT YOU DELETE DOWNLOADED GIGABYTES. YOU SIMPLY WASTE OUR INTERNET BANDWIDTH ESPECIALLY WHEN UNITYHUB IS SO UNRELIABLE IN REDOWNLOADING VERSION THAT ONCE HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED.

10. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

@Foriero

Separating the download and install phases is in our plan. That said, we are going to give the control to the user to choose the download location and keep it if he/she wants.

I agree the current behavior of the hub is not desirable and we are working on that.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

IbrahimRashwan, tonybf and Prodigga like this.
  11. DeepShader

DeepShader

Yes.. that works.. is it correct that the folder is filled with the last downloads after install?

12. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

@DeepShader If all goes well, that TMP folder containing the downloads gets deleted.

13. AsmaaQ

AsmaaQ

14. Kjaka

Kjaka

Still erases the downloaded file for an unreasonable reason like "Install destination invalid". I am sorry but this is the worst structure i have ever seen. I had to download the same version 6 times ! If there is an error on installing, why cancel the download !!! That is totally irrelevant! The idea of Unity hub is beautiful. But please correct this.

15. PearShape

PearShape

It would also be great if we could pause and resume the download got to 98% and windows restarted doh!
    Hopefully this time it'll finish...

16. hearstzhang

hearstzhang

Hey, when downloading complete, the mac will show you a tip "Unity Hub wants to make changes" and ask for your password (Windows will do the same by UAC too), when you see the tip, it means download complete, just copy anything out of the temp folder, then continue installation progress.

17. Kjaka

Kjaka

Still the same! No pop up or tip appears, no error this time too, I just want to download a newer version, it downloads the whole file, then just deletes it! I am sure it deletes it because I have the same space in my drive as I started. This is really annoying..

18. hearstzhang

hearstzhang

Do you enable UAC on windows and start Unity hub without admin's privilege? Or if you uses a mac, are you sure you have a password for your user account?

19. sathya

sathya

Install location is in a different partition with sufficient storage but C drive is almost full. Unity Hub uses C drive Temp folder to download the installer. Can this be changed to some other location?

DCordoba likes this.
  20. Foriero

Foriero

No can not. And we are asking for it 2 years.

tonybf and sathya like this.
  21. almirb

almirb

In Unity Hub, when I cancel an new version of Unity install, It will delete partial downloaded files too? I'm wondering Unity Hub is leaving garbage in my Mac... :/

22. scj619

scj619

Mac: ~/Library/Unity/Asset Store-5.x

anisimovdev, SeveneduS and efojs like this.
  23. Thaina

Thaina

When it's not then it's not and just found out that it was the main reason my disk are full. Seriously I need to use spacesniffer to curate my whole directory and just found out it all drained from tmp created from hub

Please have some thing to track them and/or have some UI to report and allow us to clean it

24. mhmtbtn

mhmtbtn

For windows you can check: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\unityhub-xxxx-xxx-...

25. ByMedion

ByMedion

Hi! Slightly off topic, but for Windows, the download cache is not deleted after installation. Have to do it by hand. Unity Hub 3.1.0-beta.1, Win 10

26. Gamebient

Gamebient

I second what @ByMedion and @Thaina said. Using Unity Hub 3.1.2 on Windows 11 and just noticed my C Drive was almost full. Checked the temp folder and there were a few folders that belonged to Unity Hub containing ~30gb of basically garbage data, as the versions have already been installed successfully a while ago.
    I'm very curious as to why this is even the case. On the one hand windows is supposed to clean up this folder by itself from time to time. Seems like it didn't. On the other hand Unity should delete the download cache once it verified the install was successful.

KuraiAndras, masai2k and GrassWhooper like this.
  27. KuraiAndras

KuraiAndras

Okay, so we have a build server for running Unity builds with two VMs, each managing their own unity installations. We are always keeping our projects up to date with the latest stable version. I have just deleted 160GB of unity hub temp files from each server. Is there a plan for fixing this? Maybe after a successful install the hub should delete the temp files?

28. Trost_

Trost_

I'm another victim of this oversight by Unity hub devs.
    My PC went to sleep during installation and the installation failed. Unity hub then froze, didn't respond and decided to just leave 11gb of garbage there in the temp folder.
    (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\unityhub-xxxx-xxx-...)

@mhmtbtn - Thanks for finding the temp files path for me.

I'm frustrated with how bad those launchers/installers/uninstallers are when it comes to cleaning up their files.

JKrypto likes this.
  29. Thaina

Thaina

In windows you most likely can open temp folder with %TEMP%