Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Which setup for 2-7 player per room simple game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Lonn90, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Lonn90

Lonn90

I am developing a simple game, based on a popular simple turn based board game for 2-7 players per room/session or what it is called. I want to deploy it on Android and iOs. Initially it will be for family and friends, they are interested. Eventually, if it works well I might want to add it to Play/App store if I figure out all conditions that apply.

I used UNet a few years ago, but it is deprecated. PUN was advised to use instead in what I found first. However, the amount of users allowed at the same time is limited. I am now looking whether there are more expandable options that are not too costly to invest in.

I got the idea of making my own server, from a Raspberry Pi in first instance, but I don't know whether that's a good solution? Also, which packages should I then use since Photon is aimed at their own server service and allow for turn based multiplayer?

Someone has good advice and/or resources for me?

Thanks in advance!

2. AG_PeuGeuMeu

AG_PeuGeuMeu

I'm going to use Mirror soon but I could not help you on that since it will just be a test.

3. tobiass

tobiass

For a mobile game, you need to provide NAT punch through and have to be aware that it may fail in various cases. Then a relay is needed. You may end up running more servers than you initially expect with Mirror. It's not a big deal for family and friends, of course.
    Mirror hosts the game in one player's client. There is no hosting, aside from host lists, etc.. Raspberry is not the server of choice, so it may be hard to scale, even if it works otherwise.

You could host a Photon Server with the free license. 100 CCU are included in that. If you run it without modification it's easy to switch to the Photon Cloud, should you decide it's worth it.

Edit: Does turnbased mean "asynchronous" or does everyone play live at the same time?
    For a turnbased game, the easiest solution would be to create a REST server to submit each turn to.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Lonn90

Lonn90

Thanks for the replies!

Yes asynchronous turn based. So one client acting as server as mentioned in the Mirror approach sounds nice because each game or room or what you call it consists of a maximum of 7 players, so wouldn't demand too much, it is a simple game too (sort of simple board game with players rolling dice in turns)
    Is it however still possible? Can anyone give me some leads on figuring that out?

I have experience in UNet and some in using database and Apache stuff and such, but I am in no way experienced in that field.

I think Photon free offered only 20 CCU, I find that a bit little.

5. g_a_p

g_a_p