Search Unity

which section is it for posting a question?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by PF676, Sep 25, 2018.

1. PF676

PF676

my unity is acting weird for days, makes me very angry i've tried everything
    where can i ask questions about how to get this beautiful program to work properly?

2. PF676

PF676

I was just about to release my first game, everything was going great.. then just errors started popping (THANKS FOR THE LOVELY UPDATES). and now i'm so angry and upset you have no idea... i was this close to release my first game, why did i update? why? just why? -.- please tell me which section i can post ask someone for help

3. Vryken

Vryken

As a general rule of thumb, never update any game engine when your project is far in its development.

Downgrading back to the version you were using before should fix your issue.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. PF676

PF676

I thought update means improvement,
    in Unity case, it means i'll ruin your life for days..
    Man after few months of working, and only 1 piece of code away from publishing my game i was so happy.. this ruined my mood for days and made me extremely upset you have no idea, never again.

5. Vryken

Vryken

As I said, this happens in every game engine.
    Updates mean changes. Changes mean potential for currently working functions to behave differently or not at all.

Again, just try downgrading back to the version of Unity you were using before, and your project should be working again.

6. PF676

PF676

Indeed, lesson has been taught.
    I could pretty much use a virtual hug right now. mehh.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This is the section that you can post your question. If it is specific to another area, we will point you to the right forum.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

To expand on this, it doesn't just apply to game engine updates. It applies to every 3rd party component of your project. At a certain point in the development of your project you should freeze all versions of anything 3rd party, including the game engine. Only take new updates to fix specific bugs that you were unaware of at the time you froze versions, and only do so after careful consideration. After upgrading make sure you do significant QA to make sure no new issues have appeared as a result of the update.

This is because any change to any 3rd party component includes a lot of risk. You weren't in charge of what went into the new update, you weren't in charge of testing of the new update, you probably don't have time to review every change they even publicize. So you shouldn't take on extra risk when everything is already going fine with that software, only do so if the update is important enough to your project to be worth the risk. This is standard practice across the entire software industry, not just game dev.

Vryken likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Update means changes. Generally this means new features and old bugs fixed, but you need to consider that there may be new bugs that affect your game in ways you can't predict and that old features may stop functioning because they've been altered to function differently or may even have been removed altogether.

Always make a backup of your project before opening it with a new version of Unity. That way if anything goes wrong you can easily revert back to the older version. This is something that will happen at some point. Best to always be prepared.

Joe-Censored and Vryken like this.