Search Unity

Which SDKs do I need?

Discussion in 'VR' started by wojwen, Sep 2, 2018.

1. wojwen

wojwen

I want my project to be able to run on all major platforms (oculus, steamVR, windows MR) and I'm not sure which SDKs should I use. I know there is OpenVR, which seems to be everything you need for your game to run on every headset. What about SteamVR and Oculus SDKs? Are they needed for the game to run on these platforms or are they only for integrating Oculus/Steam software into the game? Which ones do you recommend I use?

2. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

If you want to put your game onto the Oculus store you cannot have any references to SteamVR. However, Openvr supports both Oculus and Vive and is pretty easy to use. I can't help you with Windows MR but I believe it is supported by OpenVR as well. SteamVR supports both Oculus and Vive if you don't care about publishing on the Oculus store.

3. wojwen

wojwen

What about SDK managers like this one https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/vive-input-utility-64219. Will I be able to use both Oculus and SteamVR SKDs with it and publish to both stores?

4. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

You cannot publish on the Oculus store if there are any references to SteamVR. There is no exception for this as far as I know.

We discussed this back in February of this year on this thread.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/openvr-vs-steamvr.516955/#post-3629053

Note that a Unity employee commented directly to confirm this. It appears any openVR libraries will be rejected. I agree that this is problematic but it is kind of out of our control and up to Oculus. This is one of the many reasons I own the Vive and not the rift currently. Valve allows anyone to publish on their store whereas Oculus wants to put up walls.

5. wojwen

wojwen

From that thread:
    That seems to fix the issue. Just use SDK manager to unify the input and swap out SKDs when building for specific stores? Or am I getting this wrong and SteamVR plugin has to be removed as well?

6. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

SteamVR is just an extension of OpenVR meanining it uses OpenVR libraries. So yes, you would have to remove SteamVR completely. If the SDK manager does swap out references in the script then yes it would work. I don't think the manager you referenced would do that though. I honestly don't have an easy answer for you other than you will need two builds. Honestly though I think you are worrying about it too much. Just use the SteamVR SDK. It supports both Vive and Rift and then publish on the Steam store. Steam is the largest digital gaming platform and most Oculus users use Steam anyway.

7. wojwen

wojwen

From what I've read the only thing that matters is openvr.dll, but I guess I will have to test it myself.