Search Unity

Which Rendering To Start???

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by mfatihbarut, Jun 12, 2019.

1. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

Hi all,
    I have a serious problem choosing the right way in rendering to start my game development (PC).
    Which Rendering way should I choose?

1- HDRP: It looks shiny, bloomy and attractive. And most of all, Unity has great material pack for HDRP, which includes every kind (metal, wood, etc). (also unity's official hdrp game scenes are glamorous)
    Cons: However I have serious doubts about handling performance. I am not sure I would be able to setup a scene without any performance problems.
    It is new and in beta stage makes me very concerned.
    You can not use it in WebGL or Mobile games and it is a little bit restriction.
    I am not sure all 3. party assets that I use in my project are compatible with HDRP

2- LWRP: It looks very promising I liked it but some old materials (like surforge) didn't work with it. I am not sure my 3. party effect packs work with it and most of all there is no unity material pack for LW on the contrary of HDRP

3- Just use the conventional way and Post-process stack V2. It looks safe way to go but still there is now HDRP material pack for it. It is not future, it is past and any one wants to be in the past.

2. bgolus

bgolus

At the moment, assume all assets on the store will not work with either the HDRP or LWRP. If they’re art assets that use the built in standard shaders, the included textures should be reusable by both pipelines, and the “update materials” tool should do a decent job of converting those materials that initially show as pink.

Again, it’s best to assume no third party assets will work. Surforge for sure will not work with the HDRP nor LWRP, nor any other custom shaders or post process effects written for the built in render pipelines. The texture assets generated by Surforge may still be used, but the tool itself is unlikely to function or produce useable materials until (if) it’s updated.

The built in rendering paths are still very usable. If you plan on making heavy use of the asset store, for now it’s the only real option until both of the SRPs settle in a bit more and Unity solves some major headaches for asset store creators.

gnostici and richardkettlewell like this.
  3. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

thk