Search Unity

Which projects should I continue?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brandon199511, Apr 19, 2013.

1. brandon199511

brandon199511

Hello,

Starting off I would like to just start off by saying that over the past few years I have jumped into game development. I have started projects with original ideas by my self and pushed my way into making them how I pictured them. I have learned a lot and feel like I have accomplished my goal. Let it be known that I am still in high school (almost out in 6 weeks) and haven't taken any game design or programming classes. Everything I know I have learned on my own or with the help of the amazing Unity community. I only say all this before because I have been criticized by many.

Now to my real question stated above with "Which projects should I continue?" I haven't gotten much input on the WIP section as I would have liked and I cant tell whether others like my games or hate them all together. So please, tell me what you would like to see worked on more or what should be dropped all together.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
    - Brandon

List:
    Drone Wars (Award Winning Game) - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/161999-WIP-Drone-Wars
    Rise of the Asteris (Current WIP) - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/174966-WIP-Rise-of-the-Asteris
    Brain Defense (Tower Defense) - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129168-WIP-Brain-Defense
    FreeFall (Falling Impossible Style Game - Award Winning Game) - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/114616-FreeFall-Beta-Release

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. chrisso

chrisso

(Late) congratulations on winning awards with your work!

Out of the four games, I would like to play Drone Wars and Rise of Asteris the most.

Some of the more experienced developers (not meeeee :mrgreen:) in the forum may be able to offer you advice about which game may be most successful based on the popularity of the genre these days. They might make a recommendation with the difficulty of the project in mind.

Ask yourself, "which project do/would I most enjoy developing?" I think the answer to that question should be the deciding factor on how you proceed.

3. Khyrid

Khyrid

Continue? There are two paths, one is all that you see and the endless pitfalls, the other is the path to within yourself. The game doesn't matter, nor does money or fame. It doesn't matter if nobody plays it or if it's never finished. Look at your hands and verify that you are not actually in a dream already, and make this a habit. You don't walk the path to within, you fly down it, or glide down it and sometimes you gush through it with free hands drawspilating asplat the boards messily and unbridled, yet focused by the shapeless and undefinable discipline of that that can only come from the confidence of knowing oneself.

4. khanstruct

khanstruct

...WTF? Not even a little related to Unity development.

As to the OP, continue the one you will finish. Whether that's the one you enjoy the most, or the one that will be the easiest to complete. Finishing should be your only priority.

5. Khyrid

Khyrid

Way to ruin a party.

6. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

I like this post. Has a Yoda vibe on it. *draws lightsaber*

7. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Mad international hate for WASD! I wanted to try rise but it's only WASD to move, please support using the arrows too as non remapable WASD is horrible on any non usa keyboard where WASD isn't layed out the same way at all :)

8. dxcam1

dxcam1

This. Not everyone uses QWERTY.....

9. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

None of them. If you had any passion for any of them you wouldn't have to ask. Since you're asking, I have to assume that you would be better off finding something new that you are passionate about.

10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

No I think it just requires alot more time invested one of your projects. After the initial honeymoon is over it becomes harder to feel as passionate about it, because you are not going to get the same quick results you just have to power through it.

11. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I agree there, pick one of the 4 polish it, for exemple take rise, fix the flickering shadows, make a nicer GUI, support arrows, allow remaping keys, add nice music, get a designer and have him enhance the look of textures etc. You've got 4 nice little bases, make 1 nice game out of them instead of even more small bases.

12. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Which is why you need to pick the right project to take that step with. Force yourself to finish a game you don't really care about it and you'll just put yourself off of game development for six months. Or longer. Read the first post again. There are telltale psychological markers in there like asking which one people are interested in, noting that he got little feedback, and that he feels done with these games. I don't get the impression that he's enthused about any of these projects enough to make them his first polisher.

13. brandon199511

brandon199511

I actually enjoy all of these games and plan on polishing most of them. I was wanting to see which others would like to see polished first even though it will probably be Rise of the Asteris.