Search Unity

Which Programming Language for Android games?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by fahad7861, Dec 27, 2015.

1. fahad7861

fahad7861

Hi guys, So I have some beginner experience with Java. However I want to use the Unity3D gaming engine to develop mobile games for the Android Play store. And as I have heard in many video tutorials on youtube, the ability to programme is a fundamental part of develop games with Unity. I want to practice learning the relevant programming language alongside learning Unity. Which Programming Language do I need to learn to develop Mobile games for Android. Your answer would be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Kind regards

2. jhocking

jhocking

While Android uses Java natively (ie. not using Unity), developing a game in Unity is done with C# or UnityScript regardless of platform.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity uses the same scripting languages across all platforms. By far the most popular is C#.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

As a bonus, C# and Java are pretty similar at their core, so learning to make games in Unity with C# will already give you a leg up if you want to create native games in Java some day!

5. jhocking

jhocking

or y'know the other way around: because Java and C# are so similar, your bit of experience with Java will make it easy to pick up C#.

by the way you might checkout my book Unity in Action, because it's designed for people who already know how to program but are new to Unity.