Search Unity

Which parts of the AddressableAssetsData folder should I commit to version control?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Xarbrough, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Currently, I have the entire AddressableAssetData folder checked into version control when working in a team. However, I've noticed that the addressables_content_state.bin files for each platform are changing whenever a new addressables build is made.

Should these files be shared in a team setting or does it make sense to put them on the ignore list and only generate them locally when building?

A related question: I currently have addressables_content_state.bin files comitted to the repository, but this still means that every developer needs to build their own groups on their local machine. If I wanted to share bundles and commit them, how would I do this, since they are generated only during the build?

I've also noticed that Addressables puts loca groups into the StreamingAssets folder and then deletes them from that location after the build. However, it doesn't correctly delete the empty StreamingAssets/aa folder afterwards, which always leaves behind a warning message about meta files and dirties version control. Since I'm not using the StreamingAssets folder I've put it on ignore.

Overall, I'm a little unsure about the best approach to using Addressables in a team setting. Should every developer build their own groups or is it recommended to have a central build server that stores bundles on the network so that other developer machines load their bundles from there?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    RogueCode and chanon81 like this.
  2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

After some more research and testing I found that the .bin files are generates when I perform a "new build" of Addressables. This file is then needed when I want to "update a previous build" later. So, I assume it makes sense to keep a backup of these bin files for all cases in which I want to be able to update the groups after I've already published a player. In these cases it could make sense to commit the file to the repository or simply keep a backup somewhere else.

Still, I'd be glad to hear any advice regarding these workflows!