Search Unity

Which part you hate the most when making games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Le_Tai, Aug 23, 2018.

1. frosted

frosted

Lol, yeah - of course you love the ideas - you don't gotta actually do any of the work!

That stuff is totally fun when you don't need to actually sit there and grind out all the details ! :p

zombiegorilla and hippocoder like this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

That's it, put the mere artist in his place.

Ony and frosted like this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Why do today, what somebody else can do for you?

You chose your fate!

hippocoder and frosted like this.
  4. frosted

frosted

Once we make millions and can hire a staff to do all the grunt work, I'll suddenly go from being "mediocre" at UX to being a visionary designer! Just you wait - the next Steve Jobs over here!

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Once artists have the game design role, it means:

a) the game will take 5000 years to complete
    b) new cpus will need to be invented to cope with it

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

c) it'll look great though

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Haha. I need "visionary" in my job description.

frosted likes this.
  8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

That's probably the case with really experienced and talented artist, however, I'm a noob.

So when Nick explains how some mechanic works to me, my eyes start crossing and my only alternate solutions are to cut everything out and replace it with cube colliders, and to build everything with reused pieces.

I dont keep it stupid simple because I'm wise enough to know the folly of "being clever", I keep it stupid simple because, I am simple.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    frosted likes this.
  9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Leather textured UI? No thanks!

frosted likes this.
  10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Marketing and advertising.

I don't got a bajillion bucks to throw at it, and I don't know how to do it well enough to get most of my apps off the ground :p

Ryiah likes this.
  11. Ony

Ony

the fact that I can never just make the games I want to make, but rather try to at least enjoy making the games I do make. As a full time independent developer for almost twenty years now, I know what I can sell and I know what I can't. There are a bunch of ideas I'd love to spend time working with, but ultimately I have to know there's a market for them or I just can't do it.

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You can do it as a passion project on the side, that's how I do it.

MD_Reptile and Ony like this.
  13. Lethn

Lethn

I think the real motivation killer for me lately has been repetitive asset design, sometimes depending on what your making it seems to be just unavoidable that some work you do gets tedious and it happens when you've got some fairly generic gameobjects to make that were never really terribly interesting to begin with.

Example: I'm creating new platforms for my platformer to put into a content update I'm doing, it started off okay but then it quickly got tedious now I'm trying to get everything finished and it's because there's only so many designs that I can go through before they look the same if that makes sense.

That could perhaps be a warning sign that I should come up with something more interesting but I dunno. I'm having a bit of a break at the moment and then I'm going to get right on with finishing it, I can see now why some games developers keep the art really basic and use procedural generation and focus on the gameplay.

I actually find the coding and everything else alright especially when I'm doing something unique or interesting, I pity the artist who has to do nothing but rock formations or mountainscapes on the team.

frosted likes this.
  14. Ony

Ony

I always think, "ok, I'll do this on the side as a passion project!" and then I realize I spend enough time making games as it is, and I have other things I want to do besides sit at this computer even longer.

Back in the 90s when I worked in the studios making games, I would indeed go home and work on my own stuff. That's what gave me the ability to quit and start my own business. It was easier when I did what other people (bosses) wanted me to do all day, and all I had to concentrate on was making good art. I'd come home all charged up with creativity, ready to do what I wanted. Now that I'm pretty much in charge of it all, and I'm actually working on my own games all day (albeit not my "passion projects"), when I'm finished working I want to do anything but work even more. ;)

15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have two small kids and a wife, I love pouring a glass of wine and close the door to my home office and work on the game in silence :)

frosted and Ony like this.
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I'm just generally attacked by cats that think I exist purely to be cushion, scratch post and food vending machine. Sometimes they like to ruin my code too.

17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I didn't visualize you as a crazy cat lady :)

hippocoder likes this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I am. Currently got a mog that's been in the area for a couple of years now, his face was an open wound and he looked half dead. He came to my door one day and we looked at each other and he made a choice: trust hippo or die. He made the right choice and I listened. So I spent half my savings fixing him up at vets etc. He owns my bathroom now (have to segregate from my own cats due to his FIV) and is well on the road to recovery. Cost more money than I have to spare but I wanted to say no to what fate had in mind for him. Very happy with his recovery and he's turned out to be the most ridiculously affectionate bastard ever. Not feral, but clearly abandoned young or because not snipped, went for a wander, never came back as a kitten - this can happen more often than people think. I got him the antibiotics and treatment just in time.

Unfortunately for him he's gonna have his nuts off before long plus some dentist work.
    I'd best finish my game quickly to afford to keep doing this! (Helping animals, not cutting nuts off, that is, although...)

19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have a cat myself, cool creatures, but one is enough. he often lies between the monitor and keyboard, good place for attention :)

Edit: normally the error exist between keyboard and chair but in this case it's monitor and keyboard :)

neoshaman and hippocoder like this.
  20. D12Duke1

D12Duke1

This is going to sound petty and completely ridiculous comparatively to other's pet-peeves, but I hate when I'm trying to move an object and I end up hitting the middle Gizmo instead.. Or I try to click a specific object with the mouse in the scene and it grabs Every Single Element other than the ONE thing I'm trying to click on! haha.

As for the music/sfx/gui/artwork/3d stuff and coding... I love hating all of it! Drives me nuts but it's totally satisfying when everything works out! :D

21. D12Duke1

D12Duke1

:O My UI is pretty! ..But it was pretty horrid for a long time :(

22. Meltdown

Meltdown

The part when I procrastinate....

I know I should be working on my game, but instead I sit at my PC browsing the forums or Reddit and suddenly a few hours have gone...

23. konsic

konsic

Did someone say visionary, because that's what I am.:)

MD_Reptile and hippocoder like this.
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

You do have a nice hat and glowing eyes so that helps a lot.

konsic and MD_Reptile like this.
  25. Shiro_Rin

Shiro_Rin

This. Add Netflix and you got a procrastination smoothie I drink daily.

26. neoshaman

neoshaman

I hate programming, it's both dreadful and too interesting:

- it's dreadful, ugly, busyworks, illogical despite what people tells you, it's attention seeking as you spend more time managing the code and language rather than doing stuff, I mean all those code to be sure it doesn't overflow, to catch error, to use right syntax, find the correct architecture, create system that make other system work together etc ... anything that's not the job, is tedious. I'm just bad at it, I hate looking at it, it's just hateful.

- It's too interesting, it's like opening TVtropes except you can't avoid it, you are constantly asking if there is a better way to do stuff, and have constantly to refactor, and you have constantly to look for docs and tut that send you in a rabbit hole of links ... it's like those damn nagging free too play, which are frustrating and gate you every other way but have the right small reward at regular interval for you to keep clicking on nothing, you spend doing a lot of distracting stuff that are only peripheral to doing the job, except doing the job itself. Then you turn back and realize you spend your life looking at ugly words on a screen, that don't care about you and your health, instead of connecting with people, but you have a dream! It makes you feel empty.

- It's deceptive, what more difficult to program? a stateless npc simulation with complex agent interaction and pseudo history, or a just a good menu UI? You are wrong, I hate menu, all the interesting bit happen to be easy, they are spectacular, they are majestic, they go nowhere without the menial work that you need to do like menu, architecture, catching error, unit test, etc ... that S*** is hard and has no right answer, and you look at tut and docs and it's filled with ideological war, dogma church, it's chaotic and you don't have an answer and worse asking a question will have people condescending (not always there is some good commiunity, at best you get ignored because you are too much of a noob) on you because "git gud pleb".

Programming it's infinite purgatory, it's worse than hell, it's rewarding JUST enough you have the illusion you will get through it, but it never ends and you are stuck in frustration. At least in hell you can indulge in self pity, programming is a promise that never get fulfill. For people like me you don't know when to quit and just don't take no skills as an obstacle. After all everyone can program right? It's true, that's the problem.

I frackling hate programming.

MisterSkitz and konsic like this.
  27. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

I hate when I spend 2-3 days working out all the bugs, then add 1 line of code and it breaks everything in the game apparently lol Seriously, though! I had severe issue coding my HP bar to fade out after an enemy is dead or leaves detection range. So I scrapped it and just settled for appearing and disappearing. Got that working, then for no reason spawn zones and checkpoints broke. Fixed that, and for no reason certain enemies decided they want to be ghost and their collider didn't work anymore, etc... It gets to the point where I wanna simplify everything lol no bueno!

28. konsic

konsic

That time when machine learning in Unity will auto-fix bugs.

29. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis

Am artist who got tired of making other peoples assets, now I make my own. Least favorite part is the coding, especially the headaches that come with hours of trying to wrap my head around concepts, and the personal time sinks that come with the temporary obsession I get when I finally do.

"Ohhh, factories! That's how I should instantiate literally everything!"
    rebuilds perfectly fine prototype for the 5th time

neoshaman likes this.
  30. Balgam

Balgam

Level-/Environmental-design because it never looks as good as I imagine :confused: I'm really bad in all artistic aspects :D

31. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

I hate...
    Mosquito!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  32. pcg

pcg

that 95% in the middle

33. C_Occlusion

C_Occlusion

When I dream all night on how to fix a problem and the next day it doesn't work.:(

konsic likes this.
  34. konsic

konsic

35. derf

derf

Level design. Yuck

36. PestoPenne

PestoPenne

Graphic and design, I really can't do this.
    I always have to work with someone

I would like to have graphics as good as in professional games, but I do not have an artistic sense. For this I have a certain colorblindness, a protanopia.
    The Rocket League is a good example, they will leave the Rocket League with great respect and I owe a lot to the fact that I could buy Rocket League Crates and items someday.
    If you would like to buy Rocket League Items - buy here Buy Rocket League items

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018