Search Unity

Which order to create a game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MBPictures, Mar 6, 2016.

1. MBPictures

MBPictures

Hello community,

I'm very new in developing games and I've some organizational questions.
    So.. in which order do you develop a game?
    I've expecially the idea of the game and a plot, some employee, Unity3D and the basic knowledge of how to code in Unity. For example, the control is finished.

What should I do first? The control i have yet but what are the steps now? First the terrain, the animations, the models? I've no idea.

Please help me guys! :)
    Glad to hearing from you.

BTW: It's a 3D Shooter.

2. ladyonthemoon

ladyonthemoon

Well, if you rally have no idea how to proceed why don't you just advance the obvious stuff you have to do? Like creating the models, level designing, creating the animations. That kind of things takes a long time to do in which you'll be able to think you project over, to refine it, on the paper. ;)

Kiwasi, QFSW and GarBenjamin like this.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

There's no fixed way to go, as far as i know even AAA studios have slightly differing orders in wich they do things.

But generally i try to stick to something like this:
    1. Get a rough idea of what i want to do (genre, core mechanics, rough setting)
    2. Build a quick prototype with placeholders (if it's nice to play proceed, if not go to step 1) - if possible let other people try it and get their opinions.
    3. Create something that could resemble a fully playable level and start adding first art assets
    4. If it still feels good continue adding art, look for sound & music and add functionality (script) where you feel it's necessary, like extra bits and pieces and interactable objects
    5. Continue building levels, fix bugs along the way, always more art & sound, along the way get some other people to try it and get their opinions, because you can often get blinded by your own fixiation of continually working on the same stuff.
    6. Finalize what you got, fix last things annoy you or don't look as good as they could (polish) and start planing release. *
    7. Release your game.
    * this link might be helpful for planning your release

Step 4 is often a breaking point when you have been working on a single project for quite a while then.
    You may start thinking your project is getting boring and other ideas might be better. That often comes from spending more than normal and intense time with that single game/project. It often helps if other people who didn't work with it and play it as much can assure you that it's still fine.
    Just continue and remember that when you played your prototype for the first time you should have had fun at this step and so other people who will play it for their first time will probably have fun, too. So make it real and give people a chance to play your finished game!

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    theANMATOR2b and Philip-Rowlands like this.
unityunity