Search Unity

which one is the best linux distro for unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by FatalityGames2, Apr 19, 2021.

1. FatalityGames2

FatalityGames2

Hey there, I have been thinking of switching to Linux. I have tried ubuntu 20.04 with unity 2019.4. It worked but not like its supposed to be.

in an empty scene with a simple low poly character i was getting around 150 fps. but it was actually laggy and unplayable. i couldn't even load a light scene with some assets.

There might has been some kind of problem. so i want to know if this is fixed or should i use some other distro.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity for Linux is only tested with certain versions of Ubuntu or Centos. Also you need to make sure you have the correct video drivers for the correct GPU's.

For example, for NVidia GPU's you need to install the proprietary driver from NVidia. The open source driver which often is installed by default for NVidia cards is not supported.

Intel integrated graphics isn't mentioned as supported, if that is what you're using. Note that Unity for Linux is still in a preview state.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2021.1/Documentation/Manual/system-requirements.html

FatalityGames2 likes this.
  3. FatalityGames2

FatalityGames2

Yeah I am using Intel integrated graphics. Is there anything I can do to make it run on linux properly?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Upgrade to newest Unity version for starters. Since the Linux editor is considered experimental, we don't backport fixes to it so you're using it in the state it was 2 years ago.

5. ruis_software

ruis_software

I want to confirm that Unity 2021 LTS is not working on Fedora 36. But i was able to make it working on Ubuntu 21.10 and Ubuntu 22.04 (currently in beta).
    You can easily install Unity Hub from the Ubuntu Software app (install available as Flatpak).

You will have some issues with your existing projects importing them from a Windows machine.