Search Unity

Which networking solution is the best for my case?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Roni92pl, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Hi, I'm working on rts-like game involving lot of physics interactions(bullets are all simulated using rigidbodies with custom collision code), and I still can't decide on the best approach for networking for it, as I know physics is not something easy to synchronize over network, and it's even more complicated when you have to take into account all safety issues that needs to be thought in planning/designing phase.

I want my game as hard to hack/cheat as possible, and have well synchronized/stable physics simulation(do not confuse with determinism, I don't need that!).
    I'm thinking about classic client-server approach, where one players hosts game, and others join him, without dedicated server.

So my questions are; first, what architecture would be best suited for my case, and what networking solution would you recommend for it? ( I already know PUN is not something suiting my needs). Thanks for your time.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

UNET. First of all, it uses UDP which gives you a lower latency than TCP, which is great for FPS games.
    Secondly you can get the whole matchmaking / serverlist part for free by using the Network Lobby asset from the store, it's from Unity.
    Third, it's the native solution. Unity pays people to work on it. You can repport bugs and QA will look at it. Etc.

Whippets likes this.