Search Unity

Which multiplayer service is better for my game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Comolokko, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Comolokko

Comolokko

Hello,
    I'm working on a mobile multiplayer game which will be 1v1 ranked and friendlymatches. I just need to create rooms, sync positions/weapons and a matchmaking system. Currently I'm using photon but it looks pretty expensive to me.

UNet is still in preview and I couldn't find any information about pricing. What do you prefer to use?

2. asperatology

asperatology

You are asking for services, not libraries/APIs, so this is what I know of. Currently, you can try out the Unity Multiplayer services provided by Unity Technologies.

Otherwise, you will have to use the old manual way of telling your players to go track down their IP addresses, and have them enter the IP addresses in an input field. Once it's inputted, players click on a button to start NetworkManager to connect to a client, or host a server.

If Unity Multiplayer becomes a Pro only feature, I would like to know if there are alternate services, those other than the official Unity Multiplayer service, that we can implement on our own for use with NetworkManager's MatchMaker.

3. Comolokko

Comolokko

Unity Multiplayer Services are in preview and my game is about to release. It's ready with Photon and GameSparks. But as an indie I don't know if I can pay for both.

What do you advice? Should I release the game with that services or change them with others?

4. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

Sadly there is not a solid answer for this. I've been reading the forum for a while now and I notice you can ask 20 people here and you'll get 20 different answers. My best advice is to try as many as you can to see what fits your need. You got unet, photon, forge just released a free version on their site, darkrift, appwarp, and I know more but I can't think of them at the moment. Make a small project and play around with each.

5. tobiass

tobiass

Please get in touch with us (developer@exitgames.com) and let us know about your worries, your expected number of players, etc.. It would be interesting to see which calculation makes you think that Photon could be too expensive.
    We will try to find a solution.

6. djoshi

djoshi

@
    Comolokko If you are working on mobile game, have you tried Google real time multiplayer? Its free forever & stable. Also it has lots of free functionality including bluetooth connection.

7. Comolokko

Comolokko

oh I haven't tried it yet. thanks for advice djoshi.