Search Unity

Which MacBook Pro it’s good for programming ( game development)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by galush9011, Aug 9, 2018.

1. galush9011

galush9011

I Need the MacBook to do the following stuff:
    Video editing (with Final Cut X)
    Generic Programming (C#, Swift, HTML ).
    Scripting (OSX terminal would be great addon for that)
    3D, 2D programming in Unity (Made tower defense games so far but looking to expand and make my first FPS for example)
    -Webdesign

The options for MacBook is:

Apple MacBook 13 inch 2018
    Specs:
    • 2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
    • Retina display with True Tone
    • Touch Bar and Touch ID
    • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
    • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 512GB SSD storage
    • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • Backlit Keyboard - US English

Apple MacBook 15 inch 2018
    Specs:
    • 2.6GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
    • Retina display with True Tone
    • Touch Bar and Touch ID
    • Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
    • 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
    • 512GB SSD storage
    • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • Backlit Keyboard - US English

I don’t know which MacBook to choose but I prefer the 13 inch because it is more portable than 15 inches, however, I need powerful Mac to do all the things.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The thing that hurts on the the 13 is the built in graphics card, it will drive an external uhd monitor, but not well. If you want the portability and power, you should consider the 13 and get an eGPU, it will out perform the 15. (When used with an external monitor). I have a 13 and 15 mbp (2017). And the 15 is much better performance, but with the eGPU, they both are significantly faster.

galush9011 likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Video editing will always benefit from more processing power. It's the most demanding task in your list by far.

A toaster would have sufficient processing power for these tasks. Your choice won't really impact them.

If you just wanted to focus on mobile game development then the Intel GPU would be fine but if you want to get into game development for more demanding platforms like standalone (Windows, macOS, Linux) or the consoles then you will almost assuredly need the dedicated Radeon GPU.

A toaster is fine here too.

SirTwistedStorm and galush9011 like this.
  4. galush9011

galush9011

I already have GTX 1080 in my main computer so I want to transfer the gpu and to buy Razer core x.
    Can I use the Mac with an eGPU on internal display?

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don’t believe so. They are intended for external displays and vr and such.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. You need to use the following open source script. Check the spoiler for a video showing how you use it.

https://github.com/mayankk2308/set-egpu

galush9011 and zombiegorilla like this.
  7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

8. galush9011

galush9011

Ok, great maybe you know what’s the performance that I need to get with the card? (For Final Cut x, Xcode, Unity 3d)

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

A enterprised sized C# solution needs a nvme and a hefty CPU if you dont want a heart attack. I know I was sitting on a 3770k and a none nvme SSD at my customers premises. I forced them to upgrade me to a nvme and a 8 core CPU, its a world of difference.

Most Unity domains are not enterprise sized though, but they can run pretty big

passerbycmc likes this.
  10. galush9011

galush9011

If I want to build a massive FPS game like Morden combat 5, which model do I need to buy?
    If I want to continue with this model (using Unity3d with C#) of games can I build something like these for Mac,Windows?
    which addition language I need to learn to build games for Windows and Mac?

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you want todo a FPS for mobile you need baked lighting, you will want a workstation for this

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Interstingly, this here indicates baked lightmaps

upload_2018-8-10_15-47-18.png

But later in same trailer they blow up said place

Wonder how they solve that

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Modern Intel GPUs (the 500 and 600 series) are more powerful than the system requirements for that game (GeForce 6800 series) and the devices it will run off of. You will be fine with the 13-inch laptop.

14. tsibiski

tsibiski

The only real reasons to use a Mac for game development are:

A) You are developing for iPad or iPhone
    B) You have a strong preference for Final Cut Pro, even, though equally as good options exist on a PC

While number two falls into the subjective category about as much as any other subjective reason to go for a Mac, I think option A is really the only solid reason to ever buy a Mac over a PC.

Objectively, Macs are notably less power than an equally powered PC. It is not uncommon to find an equally powered PC for 1/4th the price.

While that PC/laptop probably won't look as pretty, or feel as solid, it will have all the power you need, and arguably better support. Support from Apple has (subjectively) really gotten pretty bad - something that made their higher premiums often worth it in years past.

Not that I am trying to throw in a wedge here and make this a Mac vs PC debate, but I feel like it has to be said when you are looking for something to develop games off of. If you are not making apps for iPhone and iOS, there really is no reason. Especially if you want to develop for the desktop. Otherwise, most any Macbook Pro should be able to handle the Unity Editor and most games at enough of a level to develop off of them.

The one thing that I prefer on a Mac to Windows is the bash/shell. But Mac is built off of Unix. The shell is extremely similar on a Unix-based OS, so if I am trying to get the benefit of easier shell scripting, I am personally just going to set up my windows machine with a second Unix-based OS.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Unix, not Linux.

16. tsibiski

tsibiski

Thanks, fixed it.

17. tiggus

tiggus

That was really the main thing I liked about Macs but since Windows 10 and the Windows Subsystem for Linux now you can have ubuntu running on the same system in a integrated fashion. I can run anything non-gui from that like my build scripts etc. which is quite nice. Check it out if you haven't.

tsibiski likes this.